Garage door on front of pool house

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
Has anyone ever used a garage door on the pool house facing the pool? Have planned on open wall toward the pool but with the garage door, you can leave open when the pool is in use and close it when you aren't using it or close it for the season. It would keep things clean and dry when not in use.

Reactions: Staceyleah22
That will work. You will have the tracks and opener on the ceiling of the room. So be prepared for that. It will not be weather tight.
They also make folding doors that you can open wide. Likely more expensive.

You could get a shaft mounted opener that would prevent having to mount the opener to the ceiling. Still have door tracks, but you could go vertical with them as high as you could to keep it closer to the ceiling.

--Jeff

Sounds like a neat idea - you could also get one of those garage door opening screens to assist in the reduction of mosquitoes 🦟 & such from entering.
Lots of restaurants here have nice garage doors with windows that open to expand to their patio area when the weather is nice.
This has given me an idea for my brother-in-law’s strange pool/patio room 💡 as he would love to remove some of the wall but doesn’t want lose the enclosed room the rest of the time.

Some of the doors that can be slid away are very expensive and not practical to me. There are openers that open doors back, like a swinging gate operator. I did watch a you tube video after I posted where people in apartments, lakeside retreats, etc. were using garage doors to open up areas into the outdoors. My initial plans have been to leave it open on the pool side but I am sort of liking the idea of being able to close if off if it gets too buggy, during bad weather, or when it gets cold. I will have 24 feet across so a 16 foot door would work out nicely and leave wall space for a exterior walk in door.

Reactions: Mdragger88
As it has been mentioned earlier the jack shaft motor mounts to the torsion spring shaft and is barely visible compared to the older garage door openers the hung down in the center. For the garage door rails even on a high ceiling can be extended to have the door hug the highest point by extending the rail and sometimes necessitating an extra door panel or two to make it work. There's also lighting designed to be mounted on the underside of a opened garage door for good lighting while in the open position.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you want some crazy custom openings check these out. They are expensive.

Features | Renlita Custom Opening Solutions
They are nice and I also like the slide away doors but for a large one it could easily be over 10k just for the door. I'm looking at practical (less costly) options to open up the space. Initially, I may continue as planned with open front but would put in the structure to support a door that can be installed at a later time.

If you're looking at a 9' door with electric opener it's about $2300 installed. Make sure you have 15" free-board or you have to spend a little more on a low height opener.

If you're looking at a 9' door with electric opener it's about $2300 installed. Make sure you have 15" free-board or you have to spend a little more on a low height opener.
Are you talking about 9 feet wide or height?
I have requested a quote for a 12 ft glass door 8 feet height just to get an idea of local pricing. May want a 16 ft door but will see what they come up with and adjust from there.

Last edited:
Are you talking about 9 feet wide or height?
I have requested a quote for a 12 ft glass door 8 feet height just to get an idea of local pricing. May want a 16 ft door but will see what they come up with and adjust from there.
9 ft wide and 7ft high which is std for a house. There are a couple online sites that you can buy from. Beware delivery is usually 16 to 20 was.

Chris

I received one quote:
12x8 RA 360 Full View Aluminum Door, anodized black frame, 3-panel, 4-section design, 1/8" tempered, gray-tinted glass, standard track and spring system, vinyl trim and bottom rubber
$4580

Genie 3/4hp Wallmount Opener, wifi, battery backup, separate LED light fixture, automatic deadbolt, 1 remote
$749
Total: $5329 (Includes materials, installation and taxes)

12x8 RA 360.png
I have to get the walls, foundation and pool finished first but I do like the idea of being able to close off the pool house in the off-season or bad weather and open it up when desired.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.