"Funny-Acting" Spa Valve

Mar 3, 2018
Texas
I'm new to TFP, so thanks for reading a newbie's post.

I have an in-ground pool with an attached spa/hot tub in my backyard. The spa has 6 valves/vents. The pool/spa is about 3 years old. When we were in the spa last night I noticed that 5 of the 6 vents/valves had strong air pressure blowing during spa operation. The 6th had some pressure but it was MUCH lower than the rest. Then today during normal pool operation, the 5 valves have good water pressure coming out (normal), BUT the "bad" vent actually has suction now instead of water pressure coming out. I put my finger in the non-working valve and can't feel anything.

I have some electrical fish tape that I was going to insert and see if it hits anything, but wanted to check with this group before I try anything.

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion or way to troubleshoot what might be going on??

ews,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all your Funny-Acting Spa questions..., even if you are ashamed of the city you live in... :shark:

I guess my first question is... Did the spa work fine for the first 3 years, and just now went bad, or did you just notice it?

Does your spa have an air blower?

I don't have an in-ground Spa, so not much of an expert, but if you can answer these questions, I'll bet you might get some better responses..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi @Jimrahbe,

Thanks, yes the spa vent/port worked fine for 3 years, I just noticed the strange behavior of the 1 vent last night, and this morning when I checked it again. It's just odd because all other vents (5 of them) work as expected.

No, the spa doesn't have a separate blower, it just uses the same pump at higher rpms (the way the pool builder set it up initially). There is an open-ended pipe near the equipment where air is drawn when in spa mode.

Happy to provide further information or pictures if needed.

Thanks,
ews2001

ews,

My understanding is that water and air get mixed in a valve back inside the Spa wall... it can get plugged up and the flow stops.. I believe that the "guts' to the valve/jet can be removed and cleaned..

That said, it is something that I have no direct experience with... Let me see if I can get one of our Spa Experts to chime in on this one...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm far from an expert, but I did help a neighbor fix his spa jet with identical symptoms. Turned out of be a little piece of debris clogging the orifice inside the jet. My understanding is that most spa jets can be removed for repair or replacement, but they often require a special tool. We were able to use a pair of snap ring pliers to get the jet out, but the actual tool made for the job would have been much easier.

This is what I found online to help us diagnose the problem. It has a nice diagram explaining how spa jets work.
https://spapartsplus.com/update/docs/spu0114_Jets.html

Thank you @MinerJason!

While in pool mode today, I removed the jet valve (which provides the directional flow), then grabbed my large/long screwdriver and with minor force twisted/scraped the screwdriver along the edges of the inner pipe. After about 10 seconds, 3 larger pieces of calcium came out of the jet and now the water is flowing as it was in the past. Here's a screenshot showing the culprits. Thanks to everyone who helped me fix the "funny-acting" valve!

IMG_2253.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.