Funky smell

brasilmom

Jul 23, 2011
Brookfield, WI
Greetings. Every year, after opening the pool, cleaning, balancing the water and getting the heater going, I notice a funky smell coming from the water. This morning, I removed the solar cover, which stays on the pool all night, and got testing as usual. The numbers are:
FC = 13
CC = 0
PH = 7.5
CYA = 35

The water aspect is clean and inviting. The smell is close to the surface, so I am inclined to believe it is due to the solar cover. I am not sure what to do about it. I open and close religiously, and always notice the smell. I run the pump, the cleaning equipment and it does get better after the water has been stirred real good. So, am I doing something incorrectly? Is the cover the culprit? What should I do?
Thanks
Miriam

I sometimes notice a smell (almost musty like) when dealing with the solar cover. Most often it's after a rain or when water ends up sitting on top of the solar cover. If the cover is looking particularly foul, I'll have my husband help me move it to the driveway for a bit of a wash using the hose (sometimes with clorine solution and rinse) before putting back on the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.