Full Sun chlorine loss

Jul 15, 2021
Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know this may be a question with varying answers but I an looking to get a general range of acceptable chlorine loss during the day. I test water twice a day. Once at daybreak and again around 6 p.m. The morning test is just for chlorine levels and the afternoon is a full test to see what needs to be added. I use the pool math app to make adjustments to my water as needed. My morning test usually shows high enough levels of chlorine and my afternoon test is drastically lower. For example my test this morning showed 8.98 ppm FCL and 0.0 ppm combined. My test in the afternoon only shows 4.6 ppm of FCL.
FCL-4.6
PH-7.7
TA-178
CH-50
Cya-64

I asked the same question today, so this might be helpful:

Reactions: Morganbertrand90
I asked the same question today, so this might be helpful:

Thanks for your help. It seems that my loss isn't abnormal seeing as my pool gets direct sunlight for 8 or more hours a day. The loss just seemed a bit excessive, so I was trying to see how more experienced owners were fairing this summer.

Try an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test if you pass this then you your daily FC loss is 4.3 at peak season. I was able to reduce my daily FC loss by partially shading the water with sail shades. We are on the downhill side now with days getting shorter so relief is in sight.
I do an OCLT everyday now and haven't had one fail in the last week or so. I was coming off of an algea bloom so I'm still a little gun shy. I was just a little worried with the numbers because I don't remember a summer in the last few years where I've had to go through so much chlorine daily with this pool. Thanks for the information it is much appreciated. I will check into the sail shades and see if it is a viable option for me. My pool is abnormally shaped and large so covers have not every really been an option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.