Full plaster chip out or top 1’ + Sandblast?

Mar 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We finally started our pool renovation. Since we purchased the house 2 years ago we are slowly getting to all the needed maintenance items. The coping was in really bad shape as well as the pool deck. The pool surface had some bubbling in the plaster but nothing I thought was too terrible. I just decided that everything else was going to be new so I might as well do the plaster and be done with it for 10 or 15 years.

I am really glad that I made that decision, even though it was a hard one due to the extra cost. When we drained the water there were all sorts of bubbled areas on the surface where the quartz plaster was delaminating and pockets of water were underneath the surface. You could simply take a hammer and tap the top and it would crack in the pieces. I only think the 2nd layer of plaster is about seven years old but I’m not really sure who did it.

I have been reading different posts about whether or not we should do a full chip out or a partial chip out and based on my reading it sounds like if you have two layers of plaster that you need to do a full chip out not just the top 1 foot with a sandblast of the rest. See picture included.

If I was having the delaminating problem I guess I would assume that I will continue to have that issue if the offending layer is not removed. Any thoughts and/or suggestions are really welcome. Thank you so much for your input.

Attachments

• 83727F38-0A3A-4B3B-8481-CDFD3A99D739.jpeg
    83727F38-0A3A-4B3B-8481-CDFD3A99D739.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 15
We finally started our pool renovation. Since we purchased the house 2 years ago we are slowly getting to all the needed maintenance items. The coping was in really bad shape as well as the pool deck. The pool surface had some bubbling in the plaster but nothing I thought was too terrible. I just decided that everything else was going to be new so I might as well do the plaster and be done with it for 10 or 15 years.

I am really glad that I made that decision, even though it was a hard one due to the extra cost. When we drained the water there were all sorts of bubbled areas on the surface where the quartz plaster was delaminating and pockets of water were underneath the surface. You could simply take a hammer and tap the top and it would crack in the pieces. I only think the 2nd layer of plaster is about seven years old but I’m not really sure who did it.

I have been reading different posts about whether or not we should do a full chip out or a partial chip out and based on my reading it sounds like if you have two layers of plaster that you need to do a full chip out not just the top 1 foot with a sandblast of the rest. See picture included.

If I was having the delaminating problem I guess I would assume that I will continue to have that issue if the offending layer is not removed. Any thoughts and/or suggestions are really welcome. Thank you so much for your input.

Attachments

• 094667F5-9A0F-4582-BB1C-6856A5C07569.jpeg
    094667F5-9A0F-4582-BB1C-6856A5C07569.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Our refinisher did a full sandblast which was extremely quick (about half a day), reasonably inexpensive ($1,500) and left a spotlessly clean gunite shell. They could easily have plastered the following day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.