Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-20
Okay, here it goes. My first ever SLAM. Water was crystal clear to start, but was loosing 4-5fc a night. First week, brushed 4 times a day, vacuuming morning and night. Tested fc levels every 3 hours. After 7 days went away for work, wife kept up testing and adding chlorine morning and night. Was only brushed and vacuumed a few times for those 7 days. I’m back home. And we are still loosing about 1.5-2.5 every night. Deeped cleaned my DE filter 3 days ago. Still 1.5-2.5 fc loss every night. I have literally cleaned everything I can see. Took the wall light out, was surprisingly clean, but gave it a heck of a brushing. Cleaned all the return jets, cleaned the umbrella holder, and put chlorine in the hole. Cleaned the skimmer basket and cleaned the water fill basket. I’ve let the waterfall run for at least 8 hours on multiple days. I’ve gone in the pool multiple times to scrub with goggles. And I see absolutely nothing. I’ve scrubbed under the waterfall ledges multiple times and even the drain covers. I’ve literally not seen anything at all this whole time. I’m at a loss now. My cya did go from 50-20ish when i was gone at work. Added stabilizer and brought it up to 40.

Current numbers:

FC 23.5 this morning, last night was 25.5 (I know the fc is high for the cya value)
Cya: 40
Aka: 120

Any help please! I’m not very frustrated!

Attachments

• D3858E50-3969-4C83-90CA-359F76294CAE.jpeg
    D3858E50-3969-4C83-90CA-359F76294CAE.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Okay, so brought the fc down to 18.75fc last night at 8:30, and 18fc at 0640. I ran two fc test just to be very accurate, got 37 drops on one and 38 on the next. This morning both test where 36 drops. I know it’s a waste of reagents, but I bought plenty on want to be accurate. Gonna try and go a few more days mainting these levels to be sure. Also cc is still zero

Sounds like a pass ✅
Maintaining slam for one more day is definitely good insurance though as that is alot if drops to keep up with.
More drops = more room for error/inconsistency.
Letting fc fall to 16ppm should help with the next oclt in that respect.
You mentioned the drain covers-did you remove them? Also the skimmer - check the weir door foam (both sides).
Other than those two things it looks like you have it clean as a whistle.
Be sure to run your water feature a little bit each day going forward so nothing brews in there. It is suspect #1 for nasties.
You also have been running your cya quite low for an outdoor, uncovered pool in Arizona. This might have allowed fc to dip too low on high uv days allowing algae to creep in.
Most in your situation go with 60 -70 cya in the shoulder seasons & 80 or so in the blazing summer. Increasing cya after slam is complete should also take some of the stress off of your swg allowing it to maintain more easily with less run time/% thus extending it’s lifespan.

Sounds like a pass ✅
Maintaining slam for one more day is definitely good insurance though as that is alot if drops to keep up with.
More drops = more room for error/inconsistency.
Letting fc fall to 16ppm should help with the next oclt in that respect.
You mentioned the drain covers-did you remove them? Also the skimmer - check the weir door foam (both sides).
Other than those two things it looks like you have it clean as a whistle.
Be sure to run your water feature a little bit each day going forward so nothing brews in there. It is suspect #1 for nasties.
You also have been running your cya quite low for an outdoor, uncovered pool in Arizona. This might have allowed fc to dip too low on high uv days allowing algae to creep in.
Most in your situation go with 60 -70 cya in the shoulder seasons & 80 or so in the blazing summer. Increasing cya after slam is complete should also take some of the stress off of your swg allowing it to maintain more easily with less run time/% thus extending it’s lifespan.
I did remove the drain covers. There is no door for the skimmer, but I got in there good with a pretty good clean. Even turned the pump off for an hour and blocked the pool access and put some concreated chlorine in there for a good bit and did another good scrub. I try to run the waterfall for at least 3 hours during the slam. That’s the plan with cya. As soon as I complete the slam, going to bring it up to about 75ish. Thank you!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.