frustrated

LNRanch

Aug 16, 2021
Tx
I've owned pools before and would consider myself semi knowledgable but I'm frustrated.

a chlorine order didn't arrive (we are VERY rural south Tx) so algae bloom started. had hubby drive to city because chlorine wouldn't hold. my guess was high cya, chlorine lock. Leslie's tested, I was right (cya 133). drained 33000gal pool 3/4 of the way and refilled. added shock. CYA WENT UP. let it circulate. it came down on the strips but I need to buy a testing kit (clearly from my reading here) but I'm sure it's still high because chlorine dropping. it took 3 days to refill my pool....I cannot believe it's still high.

I had already told my husband we need to use bleach to avoid cya...at this point I need to have it numerically retested but are there things that throw CYA reading off. ie: does a high pH throw it off? high calcium? algae?

right now I have no algae but I have cloudy water.i don't trust Leslie's, they are the ones who told us to shock it 5x in a row which imo is what is leading us to these issues

Welcome to TFP :)

Dump 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in your pool daily till you test kit arrives and we will go from there...

Anything you try to do now with test strips or leslies will just frustrate you more... So stick around and read, read, read.. go through some threads where we walk someone through there fist SLAM.. you will learn right along with them and not touch your pool, click on the links, see how it works for there pool... :)

Reactions: Newdude
I've owned pools before and would consider myself semi knowledgable but I'm frustrated.

a chlorine order didn't arrive (we are VERY rural south Tx) so algae bloom started. had hubby drive to city because chlorine wouldn't hold. my guess was high cya, chlorine lock. Leslie's tested, I was right (cya 133). drained 33000gal pool 3/4 of the way and refilled. added shock. CYA WENT UP. let it circulate. it came down on the strips but I need to buy a testing kit (clearly from my reading here) but I'm sure it's still high because chlorine dropping. it took 3 days to refill my pool....I cannot believe it's still high.

I had already told my husband we need to use bleach to avoid cya...at this point I need to have it numerically retested but are there things that throw CYA reading off. ie: does a high pH throw it off? high calcium? algae?

right now I have no algae but I have cloudy water.i don't trust Leslie's, they are the ones who told us to shock it 5x in a row which imo is what is leading us to these issues
Do you have a test kit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.