Frozen water on top of pool cover

Newbie71

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Easton, MA
Hi there,

I have an inground pool and we are just using a tarp cover with water tubes to winterize it (our second winter with the pool). We've had a few inches of water build up above the cover from rain/snow and now everything has frozen solid around here in the Northeast.

I don't believe the pool installer ever told me what I was supposed to do with the tarp cover and water accumulating. Am I supposed to be routinely draining the top, or is it okay to just wait to drain until we're opening the pool in the spring? If I'm supposed to be routinely draining the top, I'll have to wait for the thaw.

Thanks!

Some folks will use a small pump (like a fountain pump) to remove water on their cover as needed. How often to remove the water depends on the type of cover, how it's attached, and any supporting elements underneath that can support the weight of the water.

I’m in New Jersey and use a pump that came with the cover to pump water off the top. You can see it sitting out in the middle of the picture. Some pool companies will install a mesh cover so the water drains through.
457cb84ca26de154ce5741a4c02d2f16.jpg

Thanks for the info, everybody. We made out fine last year, but the level got a bit higher this year and we've not had a deep freeze like this before so I was a little worried. The pool builder winterized it, so I'm sure they did it right. They're local and reputable.

Come Friday morning, I think mine is going to look just like yours, @supercanadian!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.