Frozen Sheer Descent

bamayadds

May 1, 2021
Oklahoma
It’s been extremely cold the last two days (around 5 degrees). My pool has freeze protection that kicks on which turns on the sheer descents and the pool heater. However, the sheer descents or the pipe feeding them has frozen. There’s barely a trickle coming out of any of the 3. The pipes feeding the sheer descents does come out of the ground for about 3 feet to feed them. At this point what are my options? Should I keep the pump going(they have a separate pump)?

At this point what are my options?
Hummmm. :scratch: With water still tricking that means "some" water is still moving which is good. That exposed pipe is your nemisis. Do you have a way to insulate that exposed pipe? If you cover it now the moving water might open any restriction before a total freeze. If you shut of the water, any water trapped will probably expeand in minimal time.

Hummmm. :scratch: With water still tricking that means "some" water is still moving which is good. That exposed pipe is your nemisis. Do you have a way to insulate that exposed pipe? If you cover it now the moving water might open any restriction before a total freeze. If you shut of the water, any water trapped will probably expeand in minimal time.
Unfortunately no more trickle. Woke up this morning and it’s all frozen. 2 degrees overnight with -20 windchills. I bought some insulation tape but I’m guessing it would be better to thaw it before applying the tape?

Unfortunately no more trickle.
That is unfortunate. With no room for expansion things could get ugly. You might try some warm to hot water over any exposed plumbing to see if it helps. Is that line closed off to prevent more water from getting in now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jandy 400,000 BTU

Jandy gives the following guidance in the JXI heater manual:[7]

• Do not operate the heater if the water temperature is below 40 °F (4°C)
  • Short term operation of heater when temps are below 40F can continue but continuous flow must be maintained.
  • Prolonged operation with water below 50F can seriously damage the heater and is not covered by warranty.
  • It is recommended that vent runs over 18 feet be insulated to reduce condensation and use a condensate trap in the vent run close to the heater, especially in cold climate installations.
  • If the heater is to be operated in below freezing conditions it should be installed in a protected outdoor shelter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.