Frost Advisory last night, this morning the hose bib flew off the return side

Nov 2, 2015
San Diego, CA
Since it's now winter, I've reduced the time that my pump runs. Today, after an overnight frost advisory, the pump was on and suddenly I hear a gush of water and I come out to a stream of water about 20 feet in the air. I manage to turn off the pump and realize the hose bib had come off. Now I'm not sure if it popped off or if someone was fooling with it without my knowledge. Either way, the pump was whining very quietly and it took about five tries of turning the pump on and off for it to finally prime.

My question is: Is this something that could happen due to the cold overnight temps and the hose bib flew off under pressure?

I was fortunate that I was home and not on a holiday. Any questions, please ask. I'm not comfortable with that pump anymore.

Chris

My question is: Is this something that could happen due to the cold overnight temps and the hose bib flew off under pressure?
Only if it wasn't on very well to begin with. There might be a small amount of contraction but it really shouldn't fly off like that. Did any of the fittings break or perhaps are cracked?

First, define frost and for how long in this instance? Frost, however, usually means temps at or near 32 for a very short period of time. This in no way means that external un insulated PVC/bibs or other should even remotely freeze...

Next, ck all your fitting and other to determine their status..

Finally, you should see if anyone loosened a fitting or similar...you also need to complete your profile to let everyone know your pool type equipment and other

Alright. I updated my "About Me" page. 25,000G pool, Pentair pumps and DE filter.

I think the lowest it got last night was 36 degrees F. The frost was likely non-existent.

I'll head out now to check the other pipes. The pipe on the return right at the pump started to leak just a little so I put some silicone on it. Is this a situation where I should redo a portion of my plumbing at the return line or should the silicone should the silicone be okay? Also, the bib threaded back on so it's not like the threads stripped out from the pressure.

Chris

More information is needed. If you could fill in a signature with the information about your pool and equipment, folks who are familiar with your pump could chime in and help. Meanwhile, where is the hose bib attached? Did the hose bib fly off during the pressurization of the pump? Pictures of the event will help.

I suspect that the pump ran dry and overheated the water causing the pvc to warp.

I would replace the leaking parts.

Is the pump basket deformed?

What is the filter pressure?

Chris - you should not need silicone anywhere to stop leaks, unless it's on an O-Ring and that silicone should be spec'd for O-rings/Rubber.

Since your bib came off and you had a leak at the collar of the pump, it sounds like whomever installed your equip didn't have their Wheaties that day and didn't torque to spec. You certainly don't want to over tighten, but it sounds like they were never tighten enough or someone loosened them on you. Either way, when you re-install the new pump, you can tightened everything properly and do an inspection when everything is running...good luck, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.