Liquid Chlorine
5,000 gal vinyl
90 degrees
Sand filter

pH 7.5
Cl 2
Alkalinity 90
CYA 30

I've tried saltwater chlorine generator, but it rusted the frame and ladder, so I went back to manual chlorine with bleach and CYA. But it seems the chlorine still is consumed too quickly, adding bleach every day and things start getting nasty if we leave for a few days. I've had CYA up to about 45, and I've let it drop to 30 from splashing/evap adding water. So I'm strongly considering going back to the beginning - tablets and a floater. Are there any concerns with switching to the floater method, given my CYA levels?

Yes, tabs will raise your CYA in short order. They will also lower your pH. Know that your FC levels will be a moving target depending on how many tabs you use, the dissolve rate and as your CYA rises so does your FC target range.
If you are willing to to partially drain your pool to lower your CYA periodically then you can make it work. Keep a close eye on your FC, pH and rising CYA.

First, it’s normal for chlorine to be consumed quickly. If you are using liquid chlorine then you should expect to be adding it every day. It’s also possible that you have the start of an algae bloom which will cause chlorine to be consumed even more quickly than normal. You can do an OCLT test to see if that is the case.

As far as tabs go, each 3” 7oz tab will raise the CYA in your pool by about 5.8ppm, so the CYA will get too high pretty quickly. However, since your pool is only 5000 gallons you do have the option to do frequent water changes. As long as you’re OK partially draining and refilling the pool every few weeks then you might be able to get away with using tabs.

Your frame and ladder would have rusted anyway... The difference is minimal comparing salt water pool to non salt pool. Particularly those of us with the cheaper Intex pools, they are cheap for a reason.

Reactions: Donldson
Many thanks to you all for the replies! I was concerned that there was some mysterious chemical in the tablets that would interact with the CYA I was previously adding separately. No problem to keep an eye on the balance. You've taught me well for that!

On the rust, this is my second intex frame and ladder, but the same liner. From my 6 years of experience, the rate of oxidation is at least double with salt water. For a small pool, and since I have a nice well with no real expense for good water, it leans one closer to just using a floater. All reasonable options worth considering. Each with their own pros and cons.

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.