From installation to SLAM and beyond (previously Future Pool Location)

I haven't posted any pictures of my pool in a while, so here's one to illustrate my testing oddities.

At 10:30 I tested at the 3 labeled locations
#1 fc 15 CC 1.5
#2 fc 16 CC 1.5
#3 fc 14, CC 1.5

So, water exits the return and by the time it reaches the 1/2 way point (#2) fc is 16. When the water finishes its trip around the pool and through the filter(#3), it drops by 2 ppm. Location #1 is my usual testing location just for convenience.

You're probably not supposed to put bleach directly into the skimmer, but I did. I poured 32 oz right in front of the skimmer and then opened the lid and poured in 32 more ounces. That was the amount needed to bring fc from 14 to 17.

My ONLY NOTE - is that I am trained to look for clues and the lowest common denominator...

Like me, you have quite a bit of "dirt" around my pool...what I kept wondering is there some wacky soil bacteria contributing to my mess. Perhaps this is a clue....who knows how to test, but just adding my thoughts.

My bleach trick didn't work. Fc is back down to 15. Here's a picture of my pretty water that refuses to bend to my will or be conquered by chlorine.

I am taking a break from this pool business for a few hours so I can "enjoy" my pool. By that I mean scrub in 76° water.

Oh...this is sort of funny, only because the cat is okay, but our youngest cat fell in the pool while I was out testing. Luckily it happened near the steps and he found them and was able to get out on his own.

At this point in the day, I have added as much bleach today as I did on the 4th day of my SLAM. The water temp is 78°, outdoor temp is 82°. The sun is shining. I retested CYA and it is right around 35. Five days ago it was 40. Am I going to get such different results in CYA by testing at 11 am vs 2:30 pm?

At this point in the day, I have added as much bleach today as I did on the 4th day of my SLAM. The water temp is 78°, outdoor temp is 82°. The sun is shining. I retested CYA and it is right around 35. Five days ago it was 40. Am I going to get such different results in CYA by testing at 11 am vs 2:30 pm?

Maybe. The lighting is a big factor with the CYA test. 35 or 40, is about the same - the CYA test is +/- 15ppm accuracy. Remember you did a partial deep cleaning and used a lot of water which would have dumped a little CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, your water is beautiful :goodjob:

Thanks Butterfly, I didn't know there was a range that large. I did figure out how to remove my light. Everything inside was completely white. I dunked the pieces in a chlorine bath and rubbed it with the fingers of one hand. I had to use the other hand to keep all the water from coming out of the pool. I've always thought I needed an extra arm.

Now that I have scrubbed my steps thoroughly and bleached my light fixture, is that something I need to do everyday?

What do you think about me turning off my pump and filter overnight to see what happens?

If that solves my chlorine loss problem, then that means the problem lies there. Do I plug the inlet and return and do a massive cleaning of the pump? If I am to deep clean my sand filter AGAIN, I will have to move it or find a way to siphon water off the top and direct it away from the pool. I know you all say not to replace the sand, but for me, it may actually be easier.

What do you think about me turning off my pump and filter overnight to see what happens?
I was thinking the same thing. Take it to SLAM FC tonight, circulate about a hour, test and record FC/CC, then turn it OFF.

You will need to circulate the water for about an hour in the morning before testing FC/CC.

If that solves my chlorine loss problem, then that means the problem lies there. Do I plug the inlet and return and do a massive cleaning of the pump? If I am to deep clean my sand filter AGAIN, I will have to move it or find a way to siphon water off the top and direct it away from the pool. I know you all say not to replace the sand, but for me, it may actually be easier.
Also, I would like for you to go back and reread Richard's post again ....Post # 151.

On that deep cleaning, remember, you did not actually finish it! :wink: If you would rather replace the sand because it is easier for you, that is fine. Let's see what tonight/tomorrow brings. Good luck :D Fingers crossed!

The one thing there are not many responses on is the testing variability you are having when you tested back to back. There should be almost none from what I've experienced. The +/- is probably .5 for the FC test based in how highly recommended this type is.

You may try having a friend reading the detailed instructions and doing the tests several times for you. But don't taint them with any help while they do. That might be interesting. I trust that you can follow directions (and you've had plenty of practice) but there is no reason for to be different back to back. Am I correct Duraleigh?

Could it be a phosphate/nitrate problem??? Maybe there is high rates of that in your well water?
If there was high chlorine demand with the FC/CYA levels in a normal or low range that algae nutrients could create such a demand, but that's very unlikely at SLAM level since the chlorine should kill off any nascent algae before there gets to be enough to have noticeable chlorine demand (i.e. any initial such demand would drop off quickly).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BINGO!

I did what you suggested Butterfly. The FC loss was .5. CC stayed the same at 1. I only tested one time this morning, so I didn't make myself crazy like yesterday.

Deep cleaning the filter is a good idea, but not that practical for me. I would be flushing with well water of questionable quality. Before we drink it, it's filtered and run through a water softener. I can't afford to risk running my well dry because I have to rinse the sand for long periods of time. I read one post where the pool owner flushed with water for 4 hours. There is no way I would do that. On top of that, I have the erosion problem, so I would either have to shop vac out all the water or figure out a way to siphon water away from the pool.

I saw a liquid sand filter cleaner and wondered if anyone had tried them and had success?
http://www.poolcenter.com/medias/sys_master/h4d/h46/8796682747934/MP_1094.jpg

Otherwise, unless anyone has any great ideas for me it looks like it will be less risky for me to replace the filter sand and thoroughly disinfect the inside of the filter. Why can't I just let straight bleach sit in the filter overnight? Would that work?

I wish I knew what mystery organics are stuck in the filter.

No what do I do until and can figure out what to do with the filter sand? Run my filter or not? Run it on a limited basis like 6-8 hours per day?

Done!

The store where I've been buying all my liquid chlorine is out of pool sand and don't know when they will get it again. I'm going to call the store that installed my pool. Surely, they will have some.

Pool store has the sand I need. The lady at the store thought it was pretty unusual to change sand after one month. I'm sure it is.

Anyway, for what it costs me to buy 16 gallons of 10%, I can have clean sand. At the rate I'm going, I'll blow through that much chlorine within a week. So for me, it makes sense financially and I don't have to be concerned with running my well dry. I hope you all don't think I'm completely nuts :crazy:

Done!

The store where I've been buying all my liquid chlorine is out of pool sand and don't know when they will get it again. I'm going to call the store that installed my pool. Surely, they will have some.

Pool store has the sand I need. The lady at the store thought it was pretty unusual to change sand after one month. I'm sure it is.

Anyway, for what it costs me to buy 16 gallons of 10%, I can have clean sand. At the rate I'm going, I'll blow through that much chlorine within a week. So for me, it makes sense financially and I don't have to be concerned with running my well dry. I hope you all don't think I'm completely nuts :crazy:

I have to say it has been entertaining to see you fight this FC battle (although I keep hoping it ends soon!). Looks like you are narrowing in on the problem, good luck!

I saw a liquid sand filter cleaner and wondered if anyone had tried them and had success?
http://www.poolcenter.com/medias/sys_master/h4d/h46/8796682747934/MP_1094.jpg

Otherwise, unless anyone has any great ideas for me it looks like it will be less risky for me to replace the filter sand and thoroughly disinfect the inside of the filter. Why can't I just let straight bleach sit in the filter overnight? Would that work?
I don't know about the product you listed, but if there are biofilms in your sand filter than the best product to remove that would be Ahh-Some® for Pool/Tub Filter.

I really like chem geek's idea of a biofilm. Since I haven't purchase the sand yet, I'm going to order some of the ahh-some filter cleaner. Just because I'm curious.

Last night at 7pm, I started a mustard slam level of attack...just for fun :) The pump had been on recirculate all day, so I moved it back to filter. I lost 4 ppm FC overnight. CC increased from .5 to 1. Very similar to previous nights. So...definitely the filter or something outside the walls of the pool.

Again yesterday, a guest found a random piece of floating algae. When I smear it on paper towel, there is no green at all. It's just a brown smudge. Do you think it's algae or some other decomposing matter? At the time it was found the filter was on recirculate. When I found it on Sunday, the filter was filtering. I scrub and scrub the walls, but have never seen anything remotely like this. I still have no idea where it could be coming from.

For now, I'm holding off of the sand exchange. I want to see if ahh-some works. If not, I can always switch out the sand.

I have to give it to both you and toofast. You are warriors for sure. I don't have anything to offer other then encouragement.

I never have finished the SLAM but know that I will be fighting algae blooms when they pop up. I am away from my pool 3-4 days a week so I just dump extra bleach before I leave. I have had a few outbreaks of algae this year but non have been more then a one day clean up. I can't bring myself to go through what you and toofast are doing when I would surely blow it as soon as I get everything perfect. I have a 2+ ppm FC loss on hot days when kids are swimming and no CC's ever recorded so I guess I'm lucky.

Good luck and I hope you find time to enjoy your pool !!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.