Fresno Pool Project - Construction Starts 7/30 (photos / time lapse)

Becky here is your first "job" for your build. Go out to the pool with your plans and a tape measure in hand. Is it wide, deep, long, etc enough? Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. NOW is the best time to fix or tweak.

Water depth will be about half way up the skimmer opening.

Kim:kim:

A bit behind on updates.

We did measure, luckily my son throws shotput and discus so we have a 150' measuring tape. We're all good on dimensions, there's an extra two feet where the wooden frame is, and probably 3" - 6" of dirt on the inside of the frame, so we're right within those tolerances.

Day 5 brought the first day of plumbing. That trenching machine they have is amazing and we need one when we have to redo the rest of the yard and get the sprinklers installed. Skimmer is in, returns are mapped out (there's one on the shelf, one on the ledge, and three more for a total of 5 returns) and a few pieces of steel are in. I verified there is 2" lines running back to the pump, and the return lines are using 1.5" pipe. You can see around the corner of the side yard where the plumbing lines will come up for the equipment pad.

Day 5 - Plumbing

Day 5 Progress Picture
IMG_20190807_172526.jpg

Still behind, so here's three days of updates.

Days 6, 7, and 8 brought more plumbing and more steel framing. The line for the auto fill is in, and I think they're done caging in the entire structure though there's still just random little cement blocks scattered around the shallow end. Lights are both in, though not yet connected. Extra hose bib for the outdoor shower and drip lines for the east side of the yard is also in, though I don't think I like where they put it. It's right where I was going to put a half height fence to keep the side yard as a dog run.

Day 6 Time Lapse:

Day 7 Time Lapse:

Day 8 Time Lapse:

Day 8 Progress Picture:
IMG_20190811_133604.jpg

Not sure on the shell, someone from the city has to come out and inspect the plumbing first. If inspections can happen this week, maybe we get the shell in next week? If the shell goes in next week, the concrete deck the following week, and then the plaster - we can have a Labor Day pool opening party! My PB said it probably wouldn't be done for Labor Day, but I'm secretly hoping he's just under-promising.

We discussed the dog run side yard, though it wasn't on the plan because they weren't building it. I went out there with the hubby today and measured, and it looks like it will end up on the dog run side of the wall, which is okay. We can work with that. So long as it wasn't exactly where the wall was going. We're using it for drip lines for the gardens on that side of the house, and also the outside shower, so either way there was going to be additional water lines crossing that half wall.

Lesson learned, when in doubt, mark it with spray paint so there's no ambiguity.

Reactions: kimkats
Day 9 - last of the steel, they trimmed the roots that were hanging into the pool, not much else to report,

They're not working in the afternoons, but I can't blame them, it's 107 for the next three days here.

PB says gunnite may go in on Saturday, so the Labor Day pool party seems plausible.

Day 9 Time Lapse

Pre-gunnite inspections were all passed yesterday, so I think it's a waiting game for scheduling and this oppressive heat to move along. Still 107 today and tomorrow.

I'm staying busy picking finishes and buying fun stuff. I've got Watermelon Ball (thanks to you Kim!), diving toys, squirt guns, some floats, a nice big umbrella, and some lounges for the shelf. Probably time to order my test kit too.

Final tile decisions are below.
Waterline: NPT Waterfall in Yosemite
Step/Ledge/Bench Outline: NPT Soleil 1x1 Mosaic in Cleo Blue (it sparkles!)

pooltile.JPG

Extra Fun: A single little 5" orange starfish that will go between the two drains in the center of the deep end. I thought it would be fun to have something for the kids to go diving for. He'll need a name.
starfish.JPG

Day 10 - Gunite!! I was so excited all morning, and that was a lot of fun to watch.

I will take some more photos today of progress. There's little cracks in the surface, but from what I've read here and been told by my PB that is to be expected.

We're watering it down 3 - 4 times a day. I hope it's enough, it's HOT here - high 90s / low 100s for the next week. The water seems to dissipate before I've even gone from one end of the pool to the other.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So one of the dogs has decided the water pooling in the deep end is for her to play in. How big of a problem will this be? She's a medium dog, no more than 30 pounds. She's just splashing.

Also, pics of cracking below.

Screenshot_20190818-152415.png

Screenshot_20190818-152425.png

:party: oh yeah!!! Sounds like you got all of the GOOD toys ready to go!

You can set up a sprinkler or two on a timer to help water it.

The dog in the pool and water is no big deal. DO keep a close eye on her paws as the shell might be a little on the warm side. The cracks are VERY normal.

Guess what time it is!! It is time for YOUR set of links!!!!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It IS time to order your test kit. Use your discount code from being a Supporting Member (THANKS! :hug:) Look in my siggy below for the link to where to get the kit from. You might want to add a whale wall brush as it really helps your shoulders and back with the brushing. Get the drop salt test kit as well. Now if want to go all in get the speed stir. It helps with the mixing for the tests. The kids will love it!!

Kim:kim:

Thank you! I actually JUST went through all of those links yesterday, and ordered the test kit and salt test on Friday. I didn't order the whale wall brush, but will probably go get one of those, that seems very useful. I did get the Ahhh-some for the hot tub though.

Sounds like next steps in the build are waiting on the tile guy's schedule, and I think they're going to start on all the prep work for pouring the deck this week.

So when they pour the concrete I won't be able to get near the pool to water it. Is this fairly common, and will it be an issue? All the concrete in my profile pic is going to be newly poured, so there really won't be any pool access until it sets up. From what I've heard, it's probably 2 days to set up this time of year, and they will probably be pouring this weekend, so one week after the gunite was shot.

Days 11 & 12!

Tile prep was Day 11, tile install was Day 12, unfortunately I forgot to set the camera for the tile install.

Day 11 Time Lapse:

Day 12 Progress Pics:

I'm really happy with the overall look of this tile. It's NPT Waterfall in Yosemite. There were SO many variations, probably at least 16+ different tile patterns in the set. I took Kim's advice and went through all the tile, and found only 1 "ugly" pattern that I pulled out. I was nervous choosing this, but I really like the variation.

Is there a waterline tile gallery thread somewhere? That might be a nice thing to sticky, along with the pool finish gallery. I really wish I could have found more pictures of my tile installed in real world scenarios.

pic1.JPG

Pic4.JPG

We put a little starfish that's right in the middle of the deep end. My nephew named him Jeff. We thought it would be fun to have something for the kids to dive for.
Pic3.JPG

The glass tile step outline was an additional $500, but I'm thinking it's worth it in the end, but it still seems a bit pricy. It's NPT Soleil 1 x 1 in Cleo Blue. There was a different color that had some grey tiles mixed into it that would have tied into the waterline tile a little better....but this one was sparkly. I can't say no to sparkly. When the Bella Blue Pebblefina is on, and it's filled with water, I think (hope) it will look great.

The pictures don't capture it well, but the base of the tile has a glitter layer that really shines in the sun, and the tops of the tile have a slightly wavy surface that also throws light around.

Pic5.JPG

Next is concrete deck, we're pouring 2200 square feet of it, but the PB says it may be two weeks before that's done. I'm not sure if they're really two weeks out, or he's afraid to over promise. The tile guys were two days late, and I was very unhappy with the situation because they weren't communicating well with me about when people were going to be out, so I'm secretly hoping he's just covering himself in case something goes wrong with the schedule again.

We're all very impatient. I've taken to sitting in the ledge watching the sunsets in my empty pool.

In other good news, we remeasured now that the gunite is in. The main pool is spot on, and the ledge actually ended up being 10 x 11 instead of 8 x 10, which is just fine by me. I think when they were doing the initial layout they left an extra 12" for the gunite on all sides, but when measuring for the ledge they ended up doubling their spacing because they didn't take into account they had already added space on the other side. Woo-hoo! Free square footage!

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Behind in updates, now that school has started up again I'm pulling 12 - 13 hour days between work and playing chauffeur.

Concrete is in, and it is beautiful. I love the checkerboard effect from the brushed finished, I love how nicely it all lines up. It's funky looking right now, but from everything I've read that is to be expected while it finishes curing. I hope it keeps most of the checkerboard effect even once it's all done and even.

In other news, the slide is in, electrical is all done, final inspection is almost signed off. They didn't have the water alarm at the site so couldn't sign off entirely. The inspector also mentioned, though the pool builder doesn't thinks he's seriously going to enforce it, that our fence could be considered "climbable" and thus a hazard. If they decide to make a stink over it I guess we then have to pay to install pickets on our neighbor's side of the fence to prevent a child from scaling a 6 foot fence, landing safely on the other side...but then drowning in our pool.

Plaster should be Wednesday or Thursday, but it can't come soon enough. We're all very impatient over here. I've started ordering toys and decorations for the first, and possibly last, luau of the season.

Work so far:
pool1.JPG

Equipment Pad:
pool2.JPG

Second day for the bulk of the deck, same day as the section closest to the house.
pool3.JPG

Reactions: Oly
Plaster is in and pool is filled! It look 22 hours running tow garden hoses, which is sooner than I expected. We're swimming as is over the weekend, then they're doing an acid bath on Monday, and then by Wednesday we should be ready to go.

I'm very happy with the colors so far, let's hope the finish stays nice and avoids some of the extreme splotchiness others have run into.

Pre-fill plaster:

tfp1.JPG

tfp2.JPG

After filling:

tfp3.JPG

Reactions: S-Merry and Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.