Fresh Fill: What Mistakes Can I Avoid?

ibcj

Jun 23, 2019
Sherman Oaks, CA
Had a CYA >120, and some fine folks here (Marty, et al) suggested I dump and replace, so I did. :)

Have a fresh fill now, cleaned out the plaster and the filter elements, reloaded DE, and measured out:
FC: 0.2
CC: 1.6
pH: 8.0?
TA: 65
CH: 50
CYA: 0

So I started with about a quart of 14.5% MA, a gallon of 10% chlorine, and 4lbs of “conditioner”. Will remeasure later today.

Any thoughts on what to not screw up and what to do (other than not throwing in 10# of CYA!).

Also, surprised by your low CH. If that low, you need to add about 200 ppm worth of calcium.

Figured I’d target 40 CYA to start - middle of the range. No idea if that is a good place to start or not. Open to suggestions!

I also thought the CH was low, but had no idea what to expect from LA tap water. I’ll be sure to test it again at least one more time.

In your climate CYA of 40 should be good. May have more FC usage in late summer/early fall when you get your sunny days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.