Freeze guard question

bware

Platinum Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
The Woodlands, TX
Freeze guard came on for first time this season and noticed as it cycle to spa/falls. The falls do not run. Spa runs and falls light on but nothing running from falls. This has never happened in 16 years. Do not use falls feature much but has always run when switched on. What do the pros think on this one?

Is there an actuated valve that moves when the falls are initiated? Check its position. It could be improperly set, or a limit switch can be out. Easily replaced.

Is this your first winter with the pool? (EDIT- nevermind, I can't read ;))

Generally when the freeze protection cycles to spa, it will put it in spa mode and both suction/return valves will pull from/return to the spa, thereby not spilling over the spillway. Even though you may have the spillway circuit freeze protection on, my guess is that the system is defaulting to the 'safest' option.

I don't have freeze protection turned on for my spillway as it doesn't do anything that freeze protection on both spa/pool circuits don't do, so not sure how it would react.

--Jeff

Good catch Jeff. I assume 'Falls' is a separate feature from the spa spillway. Might be incorrect.

Fair point, Marty. I made the assumption it was the spa spillway when it may be a completely separate waterfall circuit.

@bware - Can you provide some clarification on this for us, so we know exactly what we are dealing with? A couple of photos of the equipment pad might help us to understand what is happening also.

--Jeff

I probably wasn’t clear on my description of falls. It’s the the flow from the rocks in the back of the pool and not the spillway from the spa. It has a separate pump. After freeze guard was off, I tried switching the falls pumps on with no luck so assume this has no relation to freeze guard. As I said earlier, I haven’t run the falls since summer.
I’ll include a pic of pad anyway. On far right is falls pump and filter basket.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the clarification. Good luck. I'd start with checking circuit breakers and anything else that may halt electricity to the pump. Let us know what you are able to find out.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.