Freeze control and pump ran dry.. Will I need a new pump?

LAllyn

Feb 18, 2019
Oakhurst, Ca
I've got a two-fer and I'm tearing my hair out. First, my freeze control comes on in the pool house at 38 degrees and doesn't go off until it is 44 degrees. Very expensive. I'm in the foothills of Yosemite and have five very mild years but the freeze control cost me $200 in electricity last month. I'm going to try an calibrate the pool house temp via my Intellitouch to be 3 degrees warmer than it really is, according to you Fellas, this might work. Now, this is a biggie, #2. My pool guy tore my pool motor apart two weeks ago due to diffuser seal and hasn't gotten it back together. I went up this am and saw it was running, dry, open, laying on the pool floor. Will this hurt it? I don't know why he didn't hit the breaker on the Pool? Should I plan for a new motor? It's a huge (38k gal), waterfall, and 400 gal jacuzzi on my estate. It HAS to work for guests 'in-season'. Really would like a 'head's up' when I see him. Please help.

I've got a two-fer and I'm tearing my hair out. First, my freeze control comes on in the pool house at 38 degrees and doesn't go off until it is 44 degrees. Very expensive. I'm in the foothills of Yosemite and have five very mild years but the freeze control cost me $200 in electricity last month. I'm going to try an calibrate the pool house temp via my Intellitouch to be 3 degrees warmer than it really is, according to you Fellas, this might work.
Are you sure you need pump freeze protection?

The Physics of Freezing and Freeze Protection

Last edited:
I've got a two-fer and I'm tearing my hair out. First, my freeze control comes on in the pool house at 38 degrees and doesn't go off until it is 44 degrees. Very expensive. I'm in the foothills of Yosemite and have five very mild years but the freeze control cost me $200 in electricity last month. I'm going to try an calibrate the pool house temp via my Intellitouch to be 3 degrees warmer than it really is, according to you Fellas, this might work. Now, this is a biggie, #2. My pool guy tore my pool motor apart two weeks ago due to diffuser seal and hasn't gotten it back together. I went up this am and saw it was running, dry, open, laying on the pool floor. Will this hurt it? I don't know why he didn't hit the breaker on the Pool? Should I plan for a new motor? It's a huge (38k gal), waterfall, and 400 gal jacuzzi on my estate. It HAS to work for guests 'in-season'. Really would like a 'head's up' when I see him. Please help.

Cost of power to keep a pump from freezing is why a lot of people in places where the temperature drops below swimming level for long periods, simply close the pool. My pool is a 40,000L ice cube, with enough snow on top that you can just barely tell it's there. We will not see the pool for at least another month, and the cover will be there until late May....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.