For anyone using a sand filter, might I ask what you do with the sand that is periodically cleaned out?

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
From talking to a friend of mine who has used sand for many years, it's quite a bit - as much as a few hundred pounds of it. What do you do with it? I don't believe the local pool store takes it. Just curious since sand is one option I'm considering.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
The only time I've seen people change their sand is when it gets hopelessly gummed up with floc or a bad Baqua conversion. Most of the time a good deep cleaning will fix it.

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
Yep, probably a much different story than "never have any problems or need to change the sand".

You may consider either changing the title or moving to the baqua forum.

SDor

Jun 14, 2018
Chicagoland
It's not uncommon for pool stores to recommend replacing the sand because it has "worn out". However, as mentioned above, a filter deep clean will usually fix a poorly performing sand filter.

Wobblerlorri

Bronze Supporter
Sand has been around for millions of years, it doesn't wear out. A good deep cleaning and it should be good to go.

Pool stores like to sell 50# of pool sand at $25 a bag so they tell people their sand is "worn out" or "used up" or gone to visit the Fairy Princess or some such nonsense. Don't fall for it.

• Haha
Reactions: mguzzy and Newdude