Food Grade diatomaceous earth in DE Filter

Mar 27, 2013
Dallas, TX
Can you use food grade DE in your DE filter or is the makeup/way it's made so different that it would mess things up? I use DE around the house (control bugs, etc.), and it would be nice to be able to use the food grade stuff in the pool so I don't have to have the "dangerous" version laying around.

No, you can't

What is "dangerous" about DE? Both grades are an inhalation hazzard.

The food grade stuff isn't dangerous. You can eat it. It's made a different way. The non-food-grade stuff is treated at super high temps which creates a different property or something. I'm definitely not an expert, but that's what I've read. It has the do with the fact the pool stuff has crystalline silicate and the food grade doesn't.

Consumption and breathing are two very different things. You can, and in fact are encouraged to consume water, but breathing it in is discouraged. Food grade DE is little different, eating it is fine but breathing it can still irritate your lungs and be dangerous.

If you are concerned about having filter DE around I suggest replacing your DE filter with a cartridge or sand filter. Both will work just fine with proper chemistry and neither requires the use of DE. Regardless do not use food grade DE in your filter.

Consumption and breathing are two very different things. You can, and in fact are encouraged to consume water, but breathing it in is discouraged. Food grade DE is little different, eating it is fine but breathing it can still irritate your lungs and be dangerous.

If you are concerned about having filter DE around I suggest replacing your DE filter with a cartridge or sand filter. Both will work just fine with proper chemistry and neither requires the use of DE. Regardless do not use food grade DE in your filter.

Breathing water in is "discouraged". ???? Killed me.
How I love a smart (_i_)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.