Foam covers for heated 20,000 gallon pool? And roller debris covers?

Sep 29, 2014
Hamilton, Canada
Hello!

I'm researching available foam covers for a rectangular 20,000 gallon pool. They're brands sold in Australia and USA, but there's none locally where I live (Hamilton, ON, Canada) and they are expensive.

Are any of you using a foam cover?
...~1/8 to 1/4 thickness (approx, give or take) and want to do this by next season (if not before) to replace my bubble cover on a reel.

Also, any of you using a double-roller-cover system?
Or a roller permeable/debris cover of any kind?
...One floating cover and one hovering cover (i.e. impermeable roller foam/bubble cover + a permeable roller debris/winter cover?) Basically, a winter cover that is on roller instead of having straps; and overhangs the edges of the pool to make sweeping super-easy. I ask because I have a problem with debris falling from my foilage surrounding my pool. Since I'm extending my pool season (to year-round operation) tree-shedding is an issue & I'd like better thermal efficiency than a bubble cover. In summer, I'd move one of the rollers out of the way -- or simply close one or both covers depending on whether I want permeability/chemical/thermal control. In the fall/winter/spring, I'd close both covers simultaneously (between pool uses) for keeping warmth in and to easily sweep debris, even wet debris would become easy.

I'm researching options of double covering; I suspect I would get away with two rollers with a combination of:
- 1/8" foam cover (there's a variety of brands)
- "Mesh Pool Cover" with no straps but has grommets (18'x36' to overlap a 16'x32' pool) and attach it to a longer roller.
......To stretch out the cover after unrolling, I'd use quick-release bungee straps on the grommets. This would catch all leaves/needles/debris, while letting clean water and melting snow to drop through.

An interesting challenge is roller locations -- use two rollers on same far end of pool (stacked, one above the other), or place them opposite ends of the pool. Or an L shape config (one roller on short edge of rectangular pool, one roller on long edge of rectangular pool). In a config that allows one cover to be reeled-in without needing to reeling in the other first.

Anybody with experience with using two rollers/reels simultaneously at the same pool (for various covers, regardless of cover type)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.