Flying ants?

Bringing back an old thread, but same subject. We had heavy rain this weekend, and when it was done we had hundreds of these ants in the pool. Happens a few times every year. At this point we just get them out as best we can with the net. They usually disappear within a day or two. I have no idea how to prevent them, and from the looks of this thread neither does anyone else!

i wish they would stay in the pool
we have what i have decided are carpenter ants
different sizes up to 1/2 inch some with wings some without
apparently different stages of life and male or female
cant find a nest but they are crawling out of the window frames inside the house every time the temp gets up
i have sprayed and now each morning we clean up the bodies
but i still cant find where they are coming from
from what i have read they travel several hundred yards from their main nest and create satelite nests

Got about 300 more today, glad to be helping the fire ant reduction. 300 queens is a lot of fire ant mounds. No wonder our neighborhood in SE Texas has no fire ant mounds. We have a lot of pools here :-|

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are in Florida and keep getting the flying ants in our pool by the hundreds after big rain storms. I can't figure out where they are coming from. They are Bigheaded ants and do bite. My husband works for a big company and brought a couple in to make sure they weren't termites. Spent forever scooping them out today. Would love to know how to get rid of them!

Yep, hairnet full of them last night after some rain. I should have taken a picture but it looked like a mass grave. Glad they're dead, though. I think this is mating season and the rains get them out and active for some reason. Last year it only lasted a few weeks and then it was back to just wolf spiders.

New pool owner here with the same issue. No visible mounds large enough for them so no telling where they are coming from. Have you guys found they are an ongoing problem or do they eventually stop showing up? Yesterday they literally had formed an ant ball like raft just floating around. 95% of my skimming net's contents are them.

If I can find the nest, I'm improvising a flame thrower and performing ant genocide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.