"Old" Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just looking for company. Found this thread under "Just getting started." It ran from 2013 to 2018 with no clear and obvious answer. It's listed as an "Inactive thread" now with a recommendation to start a new one. This is it. Here's the original thread: Flying ants?

Coming up on our fourth summer, this seems the norm for us. After a rainstorm, usually the next day or for early morning storms, beginning within maybe 12 hours of the storm, the pool is dotted with large dead and dying winged ants. I can't say that I've seen this much in winter, so it may be a summer phenomenon. I learned a little from that old thread and a couple articles linked, although at least some seem contrary to our experience. Our prevailing winds here on the ancient Katy Prairie are out of the south. Thunderstorms seem to bring north winds followed by the ants. We had a big storm, lots of wind and rain from about 2-7am Sunday. Late Sunday afternoon, we had the usual hundreds of winged ants in the water and in the skimmer socks.

As I scooped the ants with a net and looked closely, it seemed that maybe 1 out of five or so were alive. Since ants do not sleep, I assumed the still ones were dead. Still I sprayed the inside of the net with garden insecticide before dumping them in a corner flower bed. It seems they continue falling out of the sky for some time, as I could walk around the pool, scooping as I go, and by the time I get back to where I started, there were more. I think I got them all at that time and then cleaned out the skimmer socks. This morning (Monday) there were a few more. This afternoon quite a few more (couple hundred?) I'd like to think this round is over, but the forecast is for heavy thunderstorms tomorrow-Tuesday from about 4am to 11am, so I'll expect round 2 late tomorrow.

From what I learned from the 1954 movie "Them!" a new queen and two or more consorts will have a mating flight with the queen mating with the strongest of the consorts, after which all of the consorts die, while the queen goes on to establish a new nest and will lay eggs from that one mating for up to twenty years. That would be consistent with what we find in the pool--dead or dying consorts. One neighbor speculated that heavy rains soak ant nests and trigger a survival instinct, and that is why we see this after rainstorms. My neighbor is a police officer, not a scientist, however his theory would support our observations. Other theories I've read--falling out of trees--wouldn't apply here as far as I can tell. Coming out of the ground here? Maybe. I do also see the ants on the decking, too, but they don't seem to be heading toward the pool--just still or wandering.

The earlier thread seems to suggest this is a common occurrence from the Atlantic to the Pacific, at least south of the Mason and Dixon line. Any entomologist pool owners here?

I'm still waiting for our swarms to hit. I usually see them arrive on the water about twice each season. I get a ton in the skimmer sock for 1-2 days, then they're gone. Weird.
Interesting. We're 170 miles east of you on the north side of I-10. You get swarms unrelated to rainstorms, yet the swarms we get are only following thunderstorms. Both our locations seem to be on the border between USDA Hardiness Zones 8b to 9a, although you're pretty close to Zone 8a while we're probably 200 miles from the southern edge of 8a and you are twice as far from the coast as we are. North of you is central Texas, while we're south of the east Texas pine forests. (Just trying to figure the climate difference!) We were supposed to be in a storm this morning. Last night it looked like two lines just west of San Antonio, but they never arrived here, but instead is seems went out into the Gulf. Now they say tomorrow morning, and that's OK, as we're still a little wet from Sunday morning's storm that provided about 1.5 inches of water exchange in the pool. I guarantee, 12-18 hours after the storm blows through tomorrow, there will be ants raining from the sky into our pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.