Apr 6, 2022
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey There -

New pool owner here (3 months completed). Since pool start-up, I've had issues with communication being lost between the panel and pump #1. We have a Pentair Easy Touch 8, two IntelliFlo i2 pumps and an IntelliFlo VSF Circ pump (yes - one must be operated manually). For example, in the Pentair app, I will receive system alerts, on and off, about communication loss on pump 1. I've had the pool builder out twice, but the problem persists and it's frustrating.

Now, the spa is not operating properly. The jets will work intermittently, shooting water, but sometimes not. Sometimes cold, maybe hot for a few seconds. In addition, the robot vacuum is also working intermittently.

Given those tidbits, I'm kindly looking for any feedback on the following:

-Anyone have experience with this?
-Anyone familiar with the term "flashing the drive" , was it successful to get your equipment working and how often is that required?
-Could it be a faulty cable from pump 1?
-Lastly, if the pump is not working (constantly going on/off), can I assume water is not filtering properly, leading to algae build up (which is now happening even with regular brushing/pool cleaning)?

I appreciate any help here and hope I provided enough detail!

Dani

Dan,

Some newer IntelliFlo VSF pump have a bad F/W load. Put your system into the Service mode and use the controls on the VSF pump and find the F/W that is currently in drive. If 3.03 or 3.04, it needs to be 're-flashed" by a Pentair Tech.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thank you, I will look into that!

Another question for you. I mentioned my spa was not responding either. When I put the system into service mode - I noticed the spa LCD screen (intelliFlo) showed the lighting bolt lit up ,but the on/off button light was off. This indicates that pump is not on? Since that pump should be connected automatically to the Easy Touch 8 panel, is it okay to turn it on manually while in service mode, and once it gets going, flip back to auto mode?

I'm afraid to damage the pump system with my lack of experience.

Greatly appreciate your help,

Dani

Dani,

I'm not sure how your system is set up, but the EasyTouch can only control two VS IntelliFlo style pumps using the RS-485 cable.

It is very odd for anyone to use the IntelliFlo i1 or i2 pumps.. Can you double check what you have?

Several pics of your equipment pad would help a lot...

The VSF is for your main pool circulation (Pool Pump). What are the other two for, and which one is controlled 'manually'?

When in the Auto mode, both pumps that are controlled by their RS-485 cables should show a display that says "Display not active" meaning the EasyTouch is in control. The pump that is not controlled by an RS-485 cable could be controlled by a relay, so it would have no display, or it could have constant AC power and have a display that shows RPM or similar screen..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Attached are a few pics of the equipment and the pool builder's list. The second pump is for a spillover basin at the front of the pool and the third is for the waterfalls. I hope that makes sense. Why is it rare to use the IntelliFlo i2 pumps? I do agree it was a poor choice of the pool designer/builder to give us a panel that can only auto handle two pumps when we have three. Just learned this last week.

Is it logical that if the pump(s) are not working properly, such as the VSF pump, that any chlorine I add will quickly disappear? Just did a thorough pool cleaning on Friday (2 tabs/2 gallons of liquid shock), including the filter pump. Chlorine is nearly gone when tested today. Algae won't stop.

I appreciate any feedback and your time.

Kind Regards,

Danielle

Attachments

• IMG_3714.jpg
    IMG_3714.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3728.jpg
    IMG_3728.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3721.jpg
    IMG_3721.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3722.jpg
    IMG_3722.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3723.jpg
    IMG_3723.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3724.jpg
    IMG_3724.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 15
Dani,

All three pumps having a com cable is more worrying than interesting.. :mrgreen:

I hope that all three com cables are not connected to the EasyTouch. I need you to run a quick test. Put the system in Auto and then go out and look at each pump's display and report what you see. I suspect that all three will show "Display Not active" If they show something different, make sure you can report what each display shows.

After you report your findings, if you want, you can put the system in the Service mode which will allow you to run each pump from its display. This should allow you to get back to circulating the water.

I assume that water in your pool falls over the edge and into the trough. Then 'something' must tell the trough pump to turn on.. any idea what turns on the trough pump? The EasyTouch cannot tell what the water level in the trough is, so it has to be something external.

If the pool is only 3 months old, why is the pool builder not out fixing your problems?

Is your pool really over 20K gallons??

Did you check the F/W version in your VSF main pool pump?

Thanks,

Jim R.

It is possible an IntelliComm interface is being used to control the third pump. If this is the case, that pump will show 0 RPM when off.

Morning,

Good catch - the cable should no longer be connected to pump 2 (basin) now that we know it is fully manual. The pool cleaner must've reconnected it. The manual pump was set to mirror the schedule (8-10pm high speed) and speed (2800) of the auto pumps.

I went outside and checked the LCD screens of each pump while in Auto. Every screen said the same (Display not active). This should be correct for auto pumps, but manual pump should display the speed, correct? Put system into Service mode, and manual pump LCD screen showed the proper info - the speed. I disconnected the uneccessary cable. Assuming that's confusing the system?

Also noticed that third pump's LCD screen shows no amber light above the on/off. This means that pump is not on? Should I put it back into service mode, hit 4 (for the speed) and next the on button to get it going again - and next turn it back to auto?

Jim, concerning the F/W and the number. I was unable to locate that info on the LCD screen while in service mode. I scrolled through the menu options. Any extra feedback on where I can located the F/W?

As for pool gallons, included specs from the pool builder below. Is the pool of unusual size for the pumps we were provided?

Just so y'all know - these issues really kicked off last week. I brought it to the attention of my pool builder on Thursday, with more follow up calls on Friday afternoon. We left off with the idea that Pentair needs to Flash the Drive to take care of the intermittent VSF pump activity. Expected a call back, and when that didn't happen, I must've called them 5 times for next steps. Nothing gets done on Friday afternoon - I'm back at it this morning once that clock hits 9am. Of course other issues here too!

Appreciate the education of this pool community. I much more in the know vs 1 week ago.

Dani

Attachments

• IMG_3734.jpg
    IMG_3734.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 3
Dani,

When in the Service mode... Select..

Menu, then Settings, then Device, then Firmware Version..

The reason you do this in the Service mode, is so that the EasyTouch is no longer controlling the pump. This allows you to use the pump's display to control the pump. In AUTO all the buttons on the pump are no longer able to be used..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: DCD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.