Fix for plumbing mixup

TishTash

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2018
Merrick, NY
Wouldn't you know it, but the pool installer put my now-unused Frog device between the filter/pump and the heater, which then goes straight to the eyeball inlet return. After a couple years of futile use, the heater is ok, despite it being fed dichlor/trichlor/minerals/snake-oil, when it should have been between the filter/pump and the Frog thingee.

Now it's moot since the thing is just sitting there, BUT ... there isn't actually a shutoff valve from the return, forcing me to improvise various ways (mostly plastic balls) when I need to backwash the filter. So I figured I'd put a valve there, but then it dawned on me to use the empty space for a chlorinator. However, as you've no doubt surmised, now it will feed right into the heater. Unfortunately, the piping from the heater to the return seems to go straight to the brick wall surrounding the pool.

So ... any creative advice?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. The photos don't do it justice as most of the plumbing is hidden, either underground or within brick walls. But here's a diagram:

Pool --> wall skimmer --> pump --> filter --> (unused frog / proposed return valve / ? chlorinator) --> heater --> (underground plumbing to within brick wall) --> return inlet --> pool

The main gist is the heater getting chlorinated water fed to it, as opposed to filtered water (which is how it should've been plumbed). If I need to replumb, so be it, but I was looking for options.

P.S. I do believe the amount of chlorine fed to the heater by an SWG will be far less than the Frog's trichlor torpedo, and so far it's survived two seasons of that fiasco ... so perhaps I can just rest easy.

We understand the flow sequence but folks need pics to come up,with ideas on how to best correct it. Space and equipment spacing is a key factor in developing a strategy
D’oh! Sorry everyone. Here are some pix from just now (sorry for the lighting, or lack thereof):

The heater is a ways away from the rest of the apparatus, mainly because of the generator. As mentioned, the piping from the Frog runs underground to the heater, and from the heater back underground to within the brick wall to the return.

Attachments

• 72E15B40-B622-4F30-BE72-C0DADD746D92.jpeg
    72E15B40-B622-4F30-BE72-C0DADD746D92.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 076B0846-19F5-44FA-BCE9-9D42969C37E2.jpeg
    076B0846-19F5-44FA-BCE9-9D42969C37E2.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 46
  • CC4B82C5-68AB-47AC-B54F-30B629B09D5D.jpeg
    CC4B82C5-68AB-47AC-B54F-30B629B09D5D.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 46
Your signature does not tell us the model heater you have.

2 years is not a good test if the trichlor is damaging the heater core. I am sure it is reducing its life.

Chlorine from a SWG is less toxic to a heater then your frog chemicals.

I don’t see the heater and the heater output pipes in your pics.

Your signature does not tell us the model heater you have.

2 years is not a good test if the trichlor is damaging the heater core. I am sure it is reducing its life.

Chlorine from a SWG is less toxic to a heater then your frog chemicals.

I don’t see the heater and the heater output pipes in your pics.

1. Let’s see: “K55HXNDY-0875”

2. Well, we’re not using the Frog anymore, so I’m glad two years isn’t considered ”enough.”

3. I figured that was true; thanks for confirming.

4. The heater is to the left of the generator in the first photo above. Here is the back of the heater, as you requested:

Attachments

• 32D3C426-3327-4261-BBE1-085010EFD6CB.jpeg
    32D3C426-3327-4261-BBE1-085010EFD6CB.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 21

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.