Five year long problem with Hayward Colorlogic Pool lights.

Aug 29, 2017
Mount Pleasant/SC
Our gunite pool was completed in April 2017. 15'x30' with an eight person spa extension. All Hayward equipment with an OmniLogic control. Three Colorlogic 320 lights in the pool and one in the spa. The first bulb failure was summer of 2017, replaced by Hayward under warranty. Before the next April, two more bulbs failed. Eventually all four bulbs were replaced 4 times, with all them replaced (after another two bulb failure) last summer 2021. All have been covered by Hayward under warranty (yeah). Last weekend the bulb in the spa failed. An email to Hayward was answered by a very understanding Tech Rep and a new #17 bulb is on the way. But really? No bulb has lasted more than 15 months. Hayward's marketing of the Colorlogic is that you don't need to worry about replacing bulbs because they "last 10 times longer than conventional bulbs." I don't think so. When the new bulbs went in last summer I set the controls to Twilight/60% brightness/1X Speed and they run for 6 hours a day. As long as Hayward continues to honor their 3 year warranty I'm Okay with that but.... What happens when Hayward decides these $500+ bulbs are not covered by warranty?
They are beautiful lights when they work, bright, energy efficient (I hope) and a nice palette colors and effects. You would think that over a period of five years and shipping nearly $10k in replacement bulbs and installation they would have come out with an improved design. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 37
You often see product claims that seem to come from the Marketing Department rather then the Engineering Department.

Hopefully Hayward continues to be generous on their light warranties.

One of the gotchas Hayward seems to use is they are only generous with their warranty to the original customer. Sell your house and the next owner is likely stuck with a problem.

There are other light companies to consider if Hayward stops replacing your lights.

Last edited:
I have the same issues with my pool lights. They have been replaced under warranty 3 times. This time Hayward will not cover them. I believe their is a defect in the system and should be upgraded at no charge. I am pursuing this further with Hayward. Hopefully they do the right thing.

Reactions: mnatale
You often see product claims that seem to come from the Marketing Department rather then the Engineering Department.

Hopefully Hayward continues to be generous on their light warranties.

One of the gotchas Hayward seems to use is they are only generous with their warranty to the original customer. Sell your house and the next owner is likely stuck with a problem.

There are other light companies to consider if Hayward stops replacing your lights.
Are there other lights that are compatible with the Omnilogic controller?

Are there other lights that are compatible with the Omnilogic controller?

Turns out I have replaced 6 total blubs so far. I spoke to my builder and to the repair company and Hayward will at least cover the parts for the replacement lights. I'll have the service company do the install, but I'll watch what they do so I can do it myself the next time they fail (pretty sure there will be a next time).

I have one of these installed in 12/18 that recently failed. Waiting over two weeks now for a response from tech support that my dealer says will simply inform me it's out of warranty. Are any of these out there that have actually lasted longer than 3 years? From my observation these things were clearly not ready for prime time and likely still aren't unless they are just shipping out old stock for replacements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have seen that Hayward is providing free replacements beyond the 1 year stated warranty. Is anyone getting denied warranty coverage for these? This seems to be a product defect based on the number of people with the same issue. I think they would honor the replacement beyond one year here out of fear of a potential class action lawsuit.

I have seen that Hayward is providing free replacements beyond the 1 year stated warranty. Is anyone getting denied warranty coverage for these? This seems to be a product defect based on the number of people with the same issue. I think they would honor the replacement beyond one year here out of fear of a potential class action lawsuit.
I have the same problem with lights failing out of warranty. Pool was refinished Nov. 2014. Since that time I have replaced lights on Mar. 2017; Jan. 2018, Jan. 2020; Oct. 2022. With much complaining Hayward sent me one replacement. It has since failed. Repair man showed me where plastic housing fails, water gets inside and fails light. Not getting help from Hayward on this most recent failure.No other manufacturer light fits in pool! :-(

I don't know if it makes me happy or sad to hear that so many other people are being screwed over by Hayward's LED lights. My pool was installed in 2018 with all Hayward equipment including 7 ColorLogic LED pool lights. Within the first 6 months, the lights started going out one-at-a-time. Hayward would come and replace them with the exact same part, and it would go out again in 6-12 months. I believe I have been through about 15 of these lights, and none have lasted a year. I finally reached out to Hayward via their web form asking for root cause resolution. They responded promptly and said they would make it right. They opened a case and sent me a list of techs to call. I finally got one to come, and he said that the part has a manufacturer defect that has been resolved in a new revision to the part. I spent the next 4 months emailing and calling Hayward about my case, and they were completely silent. Today I called tech support again and was told to call customer service. I called customer service and talked to the most unpleasant service rep I've ever dealt with who very rudely told me the warranty is expired and it's not his problem before hanging up. I've attempted to start a new case with Hayward, but again they are silent. Has anyone been successful in getting Hayward to replace the defective lights once-and-for-all?

Reactions: MGARYM
I don't know if it makes me happy or sad to hear that so many other people are being screwed over by Hayward's LED lights. My pool was installed in 2018 with all Hayward equipment including 7 ColorLogic LED pool lights. Within the first 6 months, the lights started going out one-at-a-time. Hayward would come and replace them with the exact same part, and it would go out again in 6-12 months. I believe I have been through about 15 of these lights, and none have lasted a year. I finally reached out to Hayward via their web form asking for root cause resolution. They responded promptly and said they would make it right. They opened a case and sent me a list of techs to call. I finally got one to come, and he said that the part has a manufacturer defect that has been resolved in a new revision to the part. I spent the next 4 months emailing and calling Hayward about my case, and they were completely silent. Today I called tech support again and was told to call customer service. I called customer service and talked to the most unpleasant service rep I've ever dealt with who very rudely told me the warranty is expired and it's not his problem before hanging up. I've attempted to start a new case with Hayward, but again they are silent. Has anyone been successful in getting Hayward to replace the defective lights once-and-for-all?
My pool and pond has 17 lights and was installed in 2017 and since then i have maybe 25 replacements.
Hayward wants to stop replacing them. Edit by Jim R.
The lights are defective and that should supercede any warrenties.

My first post was last May that started this discussion. Hayward sent a replacement bulb for the spa light. I had my pool guy install. It's not to difficult to do and I watched closely to do myself if I have to. He turned the lights on to make sure it worked before he left but.... That very night the bulb stopped working properly. It has a mind of its own and does not coordinate with the other bulbs. Most nights to looks like the color communication from Close Encounters and some nights it is RWB. Occasionally just a solid color. I contacted Hayward Tech immediately via email to say that their replacement bulb was defective at birth. I told them that all would be forgiven if they sent me a dozen bulbs and I would stop bothering them every few months. Within two weeks I received three bulbs. Then about 2-3 weeks later another bulb in the pool failed partially. It just goes to white mostly or occasionally white and green. I've decided to wait on one more bulb to fail before I replace any of them. The one in the spa, CE3rdK bulb, is sort of cute and I don't mind the different color displays between the spa and the pool lights. So I'm sitting on three replacements waiting for the next failure. I figure at some point Hayward would cut me off so I'm hoarding my replacements.
1675626070913.gif

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog
This is why I went with brilliant wonders hayward compatible lights. The amount of complaints about the Hayward lights were unbelievable. I can’t believe they haven’t updated the design.

This is why I went with brilliant wonders hayward compatible lights. The amount of complaints about the Hayward lights were unbelievable. I can’t believe they haven’t updated the design.
New pool owner (bought house with the pool) Do the Brilliant Wonders fit into the Hayward ColorLogic housing?

Something we've found that has helped is to ensure you have AT LEAST a 300W transformer. I know how to do the math, but some builders install the "cheaper" 100W transformers. Another inexpensive thing that you could do is to put snubbers on your lights. Hayward # GLX-HAL-XSNUB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.