Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
This site has been amazing - loads of help

Haven’t been on in awhile, work got busy. For the most part pool is holding up really well here in Charlotte, NC, minus dealing with the leaves but have a routine now and isn’t so bad. Love my M600 as it does a good job most of the time.

Few questions:
During the summer I was adding MA acid every 3 days or so, to maintain PH. I have 3 different water features plus new plaster.

Now; as water is in the 50’s, PH seems to stay relatively static; around 7.4-7.6 range. Maybe every few weeks I add just a bit of MA at most. Is this normal when the weather turns colder ? Water features still run by the way 🤷🏻‍♂️

My FC level is still maintaining (was 9 the other day); how do you know when the SWG cell stops producing chlorine due to it getting cold ? I know when that happens to add liquid chlorine vs pucks.
I have my cell at 15% production as I am keeping my pump running longer during leaf drop weeks.

Anywho; appreciate the replies as always
@Newdude

My FC level is still maintaining (was 9 the other day); how do you know when the SWG cell stops producing chlorine due to it getting cold ?

The CELL ON indicator will no longer be on. From page 32 of the manual...

The CELL ON indicator shows that the cell has been turned on. Some reasons for the CELL ON indicator not being on during normal operation, are: CHLORINE PRODUCTION RATE set to 00%, CHLORINE PRODUCTION RATE set to less than 100% and CELL RESTING appears during cell rest period, NO FLOW condition, two minutes before automatic cleaning cycle, low temperature cut off has been activated, or a service related problem such as a salinity level below 2.0 gpl or salinity level too high.

I know when that happens to add liquid chlorine vs pucks.
I have my cell at 15% production as I am keeping my pump running longer during leaf drop weeks.

Page 39...

Very little chlorine is needed in cold water. Below 51°F (11°C), chlorine production is not permitted; operating the chlorinator in cold water might result in over-chlorinated pool water. If more chlorine is needed, activating the “Boost” mode will override this cold water feature allowing chlorine production for 24 hours of operation. See Section 5.1, User Interface Controls.

Reactions: Riddler0520
The CELL ON indicator will no longer be on. From page 32 of the manual...

The CELL ON indicator shows that the cell has been turned on. Some reasons for the CELL ON indicator not being on during normal operation, are: CHLORINE PRODUCTION RATE set to 00%, CHLORINE PRODUCTION RATE set to less than 100% and CELL RESTING appears during cell rest period, NO FLOW condition, two minutes before automatic cleaning cycle, low temperature cut off has been activated, or a service related problem such as a salinity level below 2.0 gpl or salinity level too high.

Page 39...

Very little chlorine is needed in cold water. Below 51°F (11°C), chlorine production is not permitted; operating the chlorinator in cold water might result in over-chlorinated pool water. If more chlorine is needed, activating the “Boost” mode will override this cold water feature allowing chlorine production for 24 hours of operation. See Section 5.1, User Interface Controls.
Super helpful
Thank you

Instead of just waiting for the cell to turn off due to low temps; is it smarter to just turn the output to 0% (essentially turning it off), and then just maintain with liquid chlorine until Spring ?
Just leave the SWG cell connected right, don’t need to physically remove it.

Super helpful
Thank you

Instead of just waiting for the cell to turn off due to low temps; is it smarter to just turn the output to 0% (essentially turning it off), and then just maintain with liquid chlorine until Spring ?

Really does not matter. Whatever works for you.

Just leave the SWG cell connected right, don’t need to physically remove it.

Correct.

Now; as water is in the 50’s, PH seems to stay relatively static; around 7.4-7.6 range. Maybe every few weeks I add just a bit of MA at most
Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Shut up and smile, I always say. 😁
Instead of just waiting for the cell to turn off due to low temps; is it smarter to just turn the output to 0%
Like said above it’s all up to you. Personally I would prefer to make the call myself and stick with it. It would get old to me, wondering if today is the day, or checking to see if it kicks back on for a few cycles throughout the week and I have to keep closer tabs on it to see if it did/didnt. Once it’s about ready to quit, daily demand is pretty much nothing going forward so it’s plenty easy enough to just DIY.

my rule of thumb has been (or at least is for this year since my cell is now operating correctly) that once the water gets down to about 60 or so, i'll turn it off til spring. i may wait until it gets into the mid 50s, we'll see if the low temp issues start earlier rather than later...granted, i have a different cell than you do (mine is a pentair IC40), so take that for what it's worth.

last year, i started having issues once it got below 70, but my CH was very high. this year, my CH is more in check and the cell is still running with the water temp at 66 as of this morning. my experience (limited, so again take it with a grain of salt) is that once the water gets below the mid-to-low 60s or so, the cell is unreliable at best and doesn't work at worst. i'm with @Newdude , i'd rather shut it off once it gets to that point rather than worrying about whether or not it's working...

follow up to my above reply: just turned the SWCG off today. water is 64, but it started exhibiting the same symptoms I saw last year when the water got cold (constant "inspect cell" flashing lights)...it's clean, I just cleaned it a few weeks ago.

one thing that might tip you off that the cell is not operating at normal capacity (at least it did for me): your pH rise will slow down. I normally add acid every 4-5 days over the summer, sometimes shorter but that's a pretty safe bet. I last added acid on Saturday and yesterday noticed when testing that I was still at 7.5. there's no way with the SWCG running I would still be at 7.5 after 4 days...today's pH number: 7.6. walked over and checked the cell...sure enough, flashing "inspect cell" light.

turned it off and it will stay off until probably mid to late April, at least. will probably need to run to Lowe's this weekend to pick up some liquid chlorine...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.