PH 7.8
FC 3.0
CC 0.5
TA 130
CH 400
CYA - 65 - couldn't decide if 60 or 70
Temp - 76ish

Questions
1. Do I need to drain to being CYA down? If so much, how much should I drain?
2. Does CH need to come down, if so, how?
3. Does anyone have a link to a chart that shows how much chlorine should go in according to CYA level? I've seen that float around somewhere.
4. How is my alkalinity?
5. When does one user baking soda vs. borax?

Thank you dearly!

Hi! I'll make this quick:
1 - No; just use the Chlorine/CYA Chart to find the right FC. The higher CYA will help this summer.
2 - Lowered by water changing, but not needed; you're okay
3 - See my signature below
4 - A little elevated; it should come down slowly with consistent acid additions
5 - Baking soda is to raise primarily TA; Borax raises pH and TA. See the link below for more on that as well.

FYI - Don't let your pH crawl over 7.8. Keep it in the mid 7s. Later, to lower TA, follow the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Consider your CYA to be "70" (round up) and increase your FC accordingly to match that CYA.

See, easy stuff. :) Congrats on the test kit Ashley! :goodjob:

From what I understand CYA of 70 is too high. Is this not true?
It's a bit elevated for a non-SWG pool, but with summer approaching, you can leave it there and simply ensure you don't use tabs/pucks or any pool store bags of shock. Stick to just regular bleach from HEB or Wal-Mart and the CYA will not go up anymore. Over time, it will slow go down from splashout, backwashes, and monthly depletion. In the summer, I keep my CYA close to that level because our sun is so intense.

Simply ensure you have the appropriate FC level to match that CYA as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) - FC between 8-10 and never below 5. You'll be good-to-go.

70 CYA is pushing it, but the Texas sun would make 60 not unreasonable and you're almost there. A backwash or a big pool party with kids doing cannonballs may splash out enough to bring it down to 60.

Yes, you will need to maintain a higher minimum FC level, but once you take it up there, the daily bleach use should stay about the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.