First timer advice/thoughts for AGP

I rarely seem to have a second set of hands when opening my pool. Mine is just a little smaller than yours at 27'.

If I do not remove my taco fillings first, I end up with lettuce, tomato, and ground beef in my pool. I am in the "slide the naked soft tortilla off the pool" camp. This is also where having the pillow in the middle makes things more difficult. I could likely pull it out first, I'll try that next year.
With the leaf net in use it makes removing the bulk of the “taco filling” a breeze.
If no net is used I definitely recommend to remove all the debris first.
Before removing the solid cover I pump it off & allow it to get as dry as possible (usually over a couple days).
Trying to remove the solid cover with water & debris on it is definitely a recipe for dumping a bunch of junk in the pool.

What if............. hear me out.

*2* covers. You get as much off the first one as you can, (either way), and anything that finds its way in hits the second cover, giving you another try.

it'd be like eating a taco over a Tortilla. If something drops, fold the Tortilla and BOOM. Free soft taco.

on a serious note, if anyone finds a way that completely works for them, they are more fortunate than most pool owners using non-safety covers. I've pulled more tarps than I can count over the years, and we lost 98% of the time.

Use the pillow to help pull the TACO towards one end. I had my circle floats tied off on the long ends to my fence. I could pull the rope on one side to help slide the cover back to me. Did the opposite when putting the cover on.

Reactions: Mdragger88
With the leaf net in use it makes removing the bulk of the “taco filling” a breeze.
If no net is used I definitely recommend to remove all the debris first.
Before removing the solid cover I pump it off & allow it to get as dry as possible (usually over a couple days).
Trying to remove the solid cover with water & debris on it is definitely a recipe for dumping a bunch of junk in the pool.
The thing is if I leave leaves on my pool, then tend to break down into very fine particles. I guess I could use the net to pull them off before that happens.

What if............. hear me out.

*2* covers. You get as much off the first one as you can, (either way), and anything that finds its way in hits the second cover, giving you another try.

it'd be like eating a taco over a Tortilla. If something drops, fold the Tortilla and BOOM. Free soft taco.

on a serious note, if anyone finds a way that completely works for them, they are more fortunate than most pool owners using non-safety covers. I've pulled more tarps than I can count over the years, and we lost 98% of the time.

I eat hard tacos over a tortilla so I can make a soft taco out of the mess.

Now I want tacos.

I didn't see the latest replies above, thanks for the info. I did buy the wrap, but it needs to come down farther on the outside; next year I'll buy shipping shrinkwrap and wrap about 3 feet down the side. I wasn't worried about cover going into the pool, but lifting off in strong winds.
But here's where I'm at now. I scooped the leaves off the cover little by little so that's OK. Some rain water lays on top of the cover, now there's about 2-3 inches of water (and snow is starting.)
My concern is weight and inward side pull. The pool company didn't center the cover the way I'd like; some spots the cover can't go down the inside wall to water level, not enough slack, even when I raised the cable; water on the cover makes it hard to adjust placement.
So how much weight is too much. The water/snow weight pulls down on the top rail in some spots (that's good) but those other spots it's pulling on the sides inward. Maybe not enough to collapse or bend, I'm not sure how strong the supports are. Maybe I'm underestimating the strength of the supports/walls.
Should I buy a pump? If the water stays frozen, I can pull snow off the surface, but as more snow melts on sunny days, the water weight increases.
Pool company said don't worry, and I wouldn't if the cover was centered better.
Attached a pic of current pool condition.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 9
Be careful not to shift/disturb the ice if removing snow/pumping water- it can rip the cover or worse, the liner.
Snow really doesn’t weigh that much so it’s not hurting anything, it takes about 13 inches of snow to equal 1 inch of rain. At this point just be sure the cover isn’t pulling on the top rails & it should be ok.

Reactions: Newdude
Be careful not to shift/disturb the ice if removing snow/pumping water- it can rip the cover or worse, the liner.
Snow really doesn’t weigh that much so it’s not hurting anything, it takes about 13 inches of snow to equal 1 inch of rain. At this point just be sure the cover isn’t pulling on the top rails & it should be ok.
Bottom of the page says this is an inactive thread now, start a new one. Is that the case?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.