First time we have ever have algae when opening up....leave stains too-ugh!

SWpisces

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
We opened our 8 year old inground pool today and unfortunately found algae and leave stains for the first time ever--on sun shelf and steps. After testing the water, we decided we needed to drain some as our calcium hardness was up to 550 (kept creeping up every year). So we are draining half of the water, brushing, brushing, brushing. We will start refill tonight. What should my next steps be in making sure we eradicate the algae? It was only on the sun shelf and steps it looks like. (We replaced our automatic cover 2 years ago and it doesn't seem to be as impervious as our previous one; also our neighbors planted a huge maple tree close to our side and we have leaves find their way in during the winter.) Our FC was clear down to 0.4 , but according to my records that is not unusual.
Thanks so much for any advice!

SLAM Process

Run a full set of tests. Post them up if you like. Lower your pH to 7.2 and SLAM.

Not sure a drain was needed with CH at only 550 but certainly will not hurt.

Take care.

The stains are organic so will lighten over time.

Lower your pH to 7.2 and SLAM. After the SLAM keep lowering your pH to 7.6 when it gets to 8 and your TA will drop.

Also....just for future reference....how high can CH go without being a problem? I have been using the pool calculator since 2011 and whenever I put in the test results it usually shows that I need to drain. I just have never done it until this year.

Well - we with high CH fill water learn to use CSI - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool

As you have a SWCG, it is best to keep CSI between -0.3 and 0. That way your cell will not build up any calcium in it.

pH and TA have the most effect on CSI. CSI is calculated by PoolMath. If you have the app, you need to select tracking it under Settings.

Thanks again!
I have been old school and don't have the app yet....been doing the Legacy calculator and then have my handy paper trail log......LOL
However....I haven't tracked the CSI so much, so it might be time to upgrade my pool tech skills!
I appreciate your help and expertise! Tomorrow it is SLAM time! (using TroubleFree pool from the very beginning, I have only had to shock twice EVER and never have had an issue until this season!...so grateful you are here!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.