First time using the K-2006 and need a little help.

debmar

Jun 19, 2019
MASS
Used test strips in past so this is new to me. I just did my first test and feeling a little confused. I did read the ABC's and info on here and went though the booklet, need a little help please. I just relined my pool and filled it last weekend. I have a 27 round above ground pool 18,500 gallons. Okay so this is what I did.
FC 1.8
CC did not go pink again
PH 7.4
TA 90
CYA 0 I added to small comparator tube and black dot never disappeared

Last edited:
hi. use the 10ml sample and multiply by 0.5, it is accurate enough for day to day testing
the first test is for fc, then you add 5 drops of R0003, if it goes pink then add R0871 drops again this is your cc
if it doesnt go pink again you have no cc
note fc test will always go pink again if you let it sit for more than a few minutes
for a fresh fill there will be no cya until you add some
calculate how much you need and add 2/3 that amount after a few days retest and adjust
it is easy to add cya but hard to remove

hi. use the 10ml sample and multiply by 0.5, it is accurate enough for day to day testing
the first test is for fc, then you add 5 drops of R0003, if it goes pink then add R0871 drops again this is your cc
if it doesnt go pink again you have no cc
note fc test will always go pink again if you let it sit for more than a few minutes
for a fresh fill there will be no cya until you add some
calculate how much you need and add 2/3 that amount after a few days retest and adjust
it is easy to add cya but hard to remove

The fc it turned pink right away ( have been running the chlorinator since I put in new water ) but never when back to pink after those 5 drop, so okay I have no cc. Should I work on the CYA first, or CC, maybe adjusting cc will bring up CYA?

Put in enough CYA to go to 30ppm. Then use enough liquid chlorine to get to 5ppm.

Use PoolMath to guide you (either the App or the classic web version found at the bottom of this page)

Can you give us a full set of test results-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

What is it you're calling an "auto chlorinator"?
Maddie :flower:

Reactions: debmar
auto chlorinator
That is adding CYA too -- maybe not much yet -- but it will add way too much over time.

you will need to increase your fc. so either increase your percentage time on your chlorinator or if close to max, increase your pump run time
start some cya disolving in an old sock hung in front of a return pipe
dont let it touch the liner as it will bleach the color out
dont add to your skimmer unless your pump runs 24 hours per day
cc means the chlorine has reacted with something in the water, algae, bird poo, children who dont go to the toilet, just about any organic material, it has no relation to cya, cya is like sunscreen for your chlorine
it stops the sun burning your fc off too quickly
too much cya makes you fc ineffective
it is a bit of juggling at the start, target 30 cya and 4.0 fc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is adding CYA too -- maybe not much yet -- but it will add way too much over time.
What are all the test results?
What is the recent history of the pool?

Use 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD chlorine test so that each drops is 0.5ppm to save some reagent.
The test results are above, after 12 years I just put in a new liner and new water this past Sunday and has been running since with Chlorinator feeder.

I've been using that auto feeder for 12 years and now again with new liner and water.
Also, what does your water look like?

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
I did read the ABC's. My pool is clear, just put in new liner and fresh water.

Put in enough CYA to go to 30ppm. Then use enough liquid chlorine to get to 5ppm.

Use PoolMath to guide you (either the App or the classic web version found at the bottom of this page)

Can you give us a full set of test results-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

What is it you're calling an "auto chlorinator"?
test results above. Its a chlorine puck feeder, I put a bunch of pucks in and the water filters though this. I've had for 12 years and not sure of the correct name lol

Ok, i get you now. So you've had no problems using pucks over time? Some folks with short swim seasons do manage to use them as they get a lot of water replacement over the winter to dilute the raising CYA. And CYA does degrade over time.
If you've had no problems with them, great. Most folks who come here havent been so lucky and algae has taken hold while their CYA is too high.

I would say follow this-->Recommended Levels - Trouble Free Pool

Ok, i get you now. So you've had no problems using pucks over time? Some folks with short swim seasons do manage to use them as they get a lot of water replacement over the winter to dilute the raising CYA. And CYA does degrade over time.
If you've had no problems with them, great. Most folks who come here havent been so lucky and algae has taken hold while their CYA is too high.

I would say follow this-->Recommended Levels - Trouble Free Pool
I've been lucky with those pucks for 12 years until last year, algae, first time it wasn't overly bad, I caught it as I noticed what looked like sand at the bottom of pool and when I went to vacuum it dispersed like a cloud, what a pain in the but it was. So now with a new liner, new water and new pump and filtration, switched from cartridge to DE , I also am getting away from those strips and trying this kit. So I am adding stabilizer now to pool in a sock someone suggested and I had some liquid chlorine to pool to bring it up some, don't want the CYA to get high so I'm going slow with the stabilizer and chlorine. I will follow that link you shared above. thank you

Reactions: IceShadow
Liquid chlorine contains no stabilizer (CYA) so its an ideal way to bring your FC up. Some folks use pucks with new refills to get the FC and CYA in one, but then move to using just liquid chlorine once their CYA is at desired levels and they don't want to go over that.

Because I misread the the amount (no readers on lol) , I put too little stabilizer in my newly filled pool yesterday. Today's I tested with the K2006 and the FC is 2.5 but the CYA remains at 0. And if it is powder form can I just mix in a bucket with warm water and toss into pool? Water clear. Thank you

You should use the sock method to add CYA to a pool. How did you add what you did yesterday?
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.