lauramor

Jan 25, 2022
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! I am a first-time pool owner, and I recently bought a tf-100 test kit and downloaded the poolmath app. We had a pool guy the last four months but since we just emptied and refilled the pool, we decided it would be a good time to start doing the maintenance ourselves. These are the results I got:

FC: 5
TA: 85 (took it twice and got 90 and 80).
CYA: 20
pH: having a hard time reading the block, it is somewhere between 7.5 and 7.8.
CH: 325

I have a few questions:
Poolmath gives me a recommended range and an ideal range. I see that CYA is outside the recommended range, so I believe I need to fix that. TA and CH are in the recommended range but not the ideal range. Should I bother fixing that? Or is the recommended range good enough?

FC is high and we have a floating chlorine dispenser. Should I remove it, so I don't keep adding chlorine to an already high chlorine pool?

Thank you so much! And I apologize in advance if these are silly questions.

No silly questions here. We all start somewhere and the vast majority of us are still learning.

Yes CYA of 30-40 is a good place to be so that is one thing to adjust. If you consult the CYA and chlorine chart on pool math, then once you get to CYA of say 40, your target FC is 5-7, so you’ll be pretty close to where you want to be.

I’ll let others comment/correct me on what happens for chlorine dosing after you adjust CYA, but I would expect you will need to dose less as your increased CYA will mean the chlorine levels drop more slowly. Probably something to leave as is to start and then knock back if you see your FC levels climbing much above 7.

Reactions: lauramor
Welcome to TFP! :wave: God job doing your own testing. :goodjob: About your results:
1. Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment details. That will make a difference in the recommendation you receive.
2. Remember that on the PoolMath APP you can share your Poolmath test logs to your TFP profile.
3. Yes, the CYA should be at least 30 - 40. If you have a salt pool, it would be higher, but we'll wait to see what your signature shows later.
4. CH of 325 is outstanding for your area. Definitely do not add any calcium
5. PH can be tricky on the eyes. Try to look at the colors outside at different angles (indirect lighting). Also try various lighter backgrounds behind the block viewer.
6. For the TA - bright Barbie pink. Once you get that color, the test is done.

Hope that helps.

No silly questions here. We all start somewhere and the vast majority of us are still learning.

Yes CYA of 30-40 is a good place to be so that is one thing to adjust. If you consult the CYA and chlorine chart on pool math, then once you get to CYA of say 40, your target FC is 5-7, so you’ll be pretty close to where you want to be.

I’ll let others comment/correct me on what happens for chlorine dosing after you adjust CYA, but I would expect you will need to dose less as your increased CYA will mean the chlorine levels drop more slowly. Probably something to leave as is to start and then knock back if you see your FC levels climbing much above 7.
Thank you so much!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: God job doing your own testing. :goodjob: About your results:
1. Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment details. That will make a difference in the recommendation you receive.
2. Remember that on the PoolMath APP you can share your Poolmath test logs to your TFP profile.
3. Yes, the CYA should be at least 30 - 40. If you have a salt pool, it would be higher, but we'll wait to see what your signature shows later.
4. CH of 325 is outstanding for your area. Definitely do not add any calcium
5. PH can be tricky on the eyes. Try to look at the colors outside at different angles (indirect lighting). Also try various lighter backgrounds behind the block viewer.
6. For the TA - bright Barbie pink. Once you get that color, the test is done.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much!
1. I updated my signature with the information I know. Sorry, I am still learning about my equipment.
2. How do I share my test logs from the app?
3. I have a chlorine system, and I added muriatic acid yesterday and it went up to somewhere between 20 and 30. I added more today and will re test tomorrow.
4. When i tested for CH the first time I got 325, but today I tested again and got 275. Is that even possible? Since it was my first time testing I assume I did it wrong?

My FC went down to 3.5 today so I will have to add some soon. I havent bought it yet, but my plan was to use liquid chlorine. I have a full box of trichlor pucks that were left by the previous owners. Is it ok if I use both liquid chlorine and the pucks? I know the pucks will increase CYA and I am worried about that.

Thanks again for your help!

Poolmath gives me a recommended range and an ideal range. I see that CYA is outside the recommended range, so I believe I need to fix that. TA and CH are in the recommended range but not the ideal range. Should I bother fixing that? Or is the recommended range good enough?
Interpret the recommended range as a minimum and maximum and ideal range is, well, ideal. So OK to be between the low and high but if you are close to one of those end points then be prepared to take action. For example TA - shoot for 60, 70 or 80 but do not go below 50 or above 90. Hope that helps

FC is high and we have a floating chlorine dispenser. Should I remove it, so I don't keep adding chlorine to an already high chlorine pool?
Your profile indicates you are using Liquid Chlorine, so don't understand why you have a floater with (I assume) chlorine pucks which puts both chlorine and CYA into your pool. Since your CYA is on the low side (i.e. 20), as those pucks dissolve it will slightly increase your CYA which is OK for now but not for longterm use. For your 11,700 gal pool, each trichlor puck (which is about 8 oz) will increase your FC by 4.7, increase CYA by 2.8 and lower pH by 0.3 when fully dissolved. So those of us that use liquid chlorine, you can use pucks to increase CYA but it takes time for each to dissolve, so the better use of those pucks is to hold them when you go on vacation and then put in the floater.

2. How do I share my test logs from the app?
3. I have a chlorine system, and I added muriatic acid yesterday and it went up to somewhere between 20 and 30. I added more today and will re test tomorrow.
4. When i tested for CH the first time I got 325, but today I tested again and got 275. Is that even possible? Since it was my first time testing I assume I did it wrong?
to link logs - on the app - go to the GEAR icon and scoll to bottom until you see Sharing Then switch on Link from profile

CH testing - you may just have user error - as you continue to practice you will be more consistent. CH can only go down by removing water from your pool. So just continue as is for now - 275 is still OK.

My FC went down to 3.5 today so I will have to add some soon. I havent bought it yet, but my plan was to use liquid chlorine. I have a full box of trichlor pucks that were left by the previous owners. Is it ok if I use both liquid chlorine and the pucks? I know the pucks will increase CYA and I am worried about that.
See my previous post - Suggest you purchase LC as it more quickly raises FC. Hold the pucks for vacation use.
Also purchase granular CYA increaser and place in a sock to dissolve in the pool. Do you know how to use the Effects of Adding on the app as that will tell you what amount to add to go from 20 CYA to 40 CYA.

Interpret the recommended range as a minimum and maximum and ideal range is, well, ideal. So OK to be between the low and high but if you are close to one of those end points then be prepared to take action. For example TA - shoot for 60, 70 or 80 but do not go below 50 or above 90. Hope that helps

Your profile indicates you are using Liquid Chlorine, so don't understand why you have a floater with (I assume) chlorine pucks which puts both chlorine and CYA into your pool. Since your CYA is on the low side (i.e. 20), as those pucks dissolve it will slightly increase your CYA which is OK for now but not for longterm use. For your 11,700 gal pool, each trichlor puck (which is about 8 oz) will increase your FC by 4.7, increase CYA by 2.8 and lower pH by 0.3 when fully dissolved. So those of us that use liquid chlorine, you can use pucks to increase CYA but it takes time for each to dissolve, so the better use of those pucks is to hold them when you go on vacation and then put in the floater.
Thank you for explaining about the recommended and ideal ranges.

I should explain better about liquid chlorine. The pool was emptied and filled by my pool guy about a month ago. He put the pucks in the floater and I am not sure what other chemicals he added. I just let the guy go and started doing the maintenance myself, but I havent added any chlorine yet since it was high when he left (FC 5.... and now FC 3.5). So to answer your question, the only reason I have a floater is because the pool guy put it there. I will remove them and save them for when we are on vacation. Thank you!

to link logs - on the app - go to the GEAR icon and scoll to bottom until you see Sharing Then switch on Link from profile

CH testing - you may just have user error - as you continue to practice you will be more consistent. CH can only go down by removing water from your pool. So just continue as is for now - 275 is still OK.

See my previous post - Suggest you purchase LC as it more quickly raises FC. Hold the pucks for vacation use.
Also purchase granular CYA increaser and place in a sock to dissolve in the pool. Do you know how to use the Effects of Adding on the app as that will tell you what amount to add to go from 20 CYA to 40 CYA.
I purchased instant pool conditioner because I thought it would be easier to use than the sock method. Is granular CYA better? I do know how to use the Effects of Adding on the app.

Thanks again for you replies! It helped a lot!

I purchased instant pool conditioner because I thought it would be easier to use than the sock method. Is granular CYA better? I do know how to use the Effects of Adding on the app.

Thanks again for you replies! It helped a lot!
The liquid conditioner is fine. It just tends to be more expensive. Just go in smaller increments so you do not want to overshoot. So if your target is 40 and you are at 20, then add enough conditioner to get to 30. Then wait a day (conditioner takes a while to fully mix) and test. If you are at 30 then you know your calculations are correct and then increase again to 40.

Your pool volume of 11,700 is not "perfect" and your measurement of how much chemical you add is not "perfect" - so I always move increments - especially for increasing CYA and CH as those can only be lowered by removing water.

Also, with regard to FC - it does not hurt to be on the high side of the range - especially in the summer. You do not want to be on the low end because depending on many factors - algae could start to form. So for FC, I am for the high side of the range based on the FC/CYA Levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Laura, as you can see, Herman is taking good care of you. Lots of folks here to help. A little learning curve at first but you'll get it. Just stick close to their notes, ask questions, and go to those links provided. It will all click soon. Enjoy the weekend. :swim:

The liquid conditioner is fine. It just tends to be more expensive. Just go in smaller increments so you do not want to overshoot. So if your target is 40 and you are at 20, then add enough conditioner to get to 30. Then wait a day (conditioner takes a while to fully mix) and test. If you are at 30 then you know your calculations are correct and then increase again to 40.

Your pool volume of 11,700 is not "perfect" and your measurement of how much chemical you add is not "perfect" - so I always move increments - especially for increasing CYA and CH as those can only be lowered by removing water.

Also, with regard to FC - it does not hurt to be on the high side of the range - especially in the summer. You do not want to be on the low end because depending on many factors - algae could start to form. So for FC, I am for the high side of the range based on the FC/CYA Levels.
Thank you!!!

Laura, as you can see, Herman is taking good care of you. Lots of folks here to help. A little learning curve at first but you'll get it. Just stick close to their notes, ask questions, and go to those links provided. It will all click soon. Enjoy the weekend. :swim:

Yes! Thanks!

pH: having a hard time reading the block,

Sometimes I have trouble matching the pH colors. When I do I add either the acid demand or base demand reagents one drop at a time till I get a color match. From trial and error I think one drop is equal to 0.1

I think I confirmed that with a deep dive into Taylor's literature, maybe someone here can confirm.

When I do I add either the acid demand or base demand reagents one drop at a time till I get a color match.
TF100 does not come with those reagents. Color matching with a white background in bright natural light is sufficient.

Reactions: SunnyDayz4US
Sometimes I have trouble matching the pH colors. When I do I add either the acid demand or base demand reagents one drop at a time till I get a color match. From trial and error I think one drop is equal to 0.1

I think I confirmed that with a deep dive into Taylor's literature, maybe someone here can confirm.
Could you explain more how you do this? I may be interested in buying those reagents and giving it a try. Thanks!

Could you explain more how you do this? I may be interested in buying those reagents and giving it a try. Thanks!
These 2 reagents come with Taylor kit -K-2006. I have attached the instructions from that kit so you can see it is reagents #R-0005 & R-0006. Look in the RED section for pH testing. After you do your pH test - then adding a drop from either one of these will increase or decrease the pH so you can see the color change.

I don't think each drop is equal to 0.1 change as mine varies from 0.2 to 0.4 at times. My opinion only.

Attachments

• 5165.pdf
    596.5 KB · Views: 3
  • K-2006.pdf
    164.8 KB · Views: 2

I just realized something very important about my CH. We have a water softener, and the automatic pool refill is hooked up to the softener. When we filled the pool we used a hose (not connected to the softener) and the pool refill, which would explain the CH being low. So once the summer comes and water evaporates, I will have soft water going in the pool, and I assume the CH will get lower and lower? Should I add calcium then? Thanks!

By the way, I tested the soft water and I got CH 25. If that matters......

I will have soft water going in the pool, and I assume the CH will get lower and lower?
No, it will just not rise. Your CH of 325 your reported is perfect. Continue to use the soft water as your make up water. Test the CH each month to track it.

I just realized something very important about my CH. We have a water softener, and the automatic pool refill is hooked up to the softener. When we filled the pool we used a hose (not connected to the softener) and the pool refill, which would explain the CH being low. So once the summer comes and water evaporates, I will have soft water going in the pool, and I assume the CH will get lower and lower? Should I add calcium then? Thanks!

By the way, I tested the soft water and I got CH 25. If that matters......
I have a water softener also that fills my pool. I suggest you test monthly and monitor it. I have in the past had to add Calcium increaser if my CH test value dropped below 250ppm. It is something you want to add incrementally because too much CH is harder to correct. I try to keep my CH between 300 to 400 which works OK for my pool.

It is good to test your water softener occasionally to ensure all is functioning OK. I found my regen system broke and my CH spiked on my inside tap water. With a 10ml sample 1 drop is 25ppm so that is within boundaries of the test. I would suspect anything above 75ppm for your water softener.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.