First time using test kit need help with readings

Apr 14, 2013
South Jersey
I did not hear back from Amazon about my test kit, and everything in it says Taylor. So, I used it, I don't want to wait. So used Taylor K2006, This is my first time using this, and I watched the videos first. I am not sure if it is perfect, but I am sure it is close.
ph 7.7
FC 5
CC 1.0
Alkalinity 90
CYA 55ppm
Calcium 220
Temp 80 degrees

I think things look okay, but I am not sure about the alkalinity or calcium. Can someone help me.
Thanks

I presume your CYA reading fell between 50 and 60 lines? If so, then we round up, so your CYA is 60.
Now, with CYA 60, your FC level is low. You have to keep the FC levels in accordance with this FC/CYA Chart, so that would be 7-9ppm. A lot of people add chlorine in the evening to the top limit so that you have the highest FC reading when the day starts. Then as the sun and usage burns off the chlorine it will drop to the lower limit. The whole idea is not to go below the lower limit too often or for too long.

Reactions: mickey4paws
Yes my CYA was 55. I only have my SWG at 40 percent because after opening and checking with the pool store because I did not have a kit yet, they said it was over 10. I will turn it back up to raise the levels. It was 90 degrees here today. I don't think I need to SLAM right?

Sorry, missed that you have an SWG. Yes, crank it up, or even better, if you have liquid chlorine use that to bring the FC to the proper level quickly. Then monitor daily and adjust your SWG output to maintain this level.
As far as SLAM goes I will leave it to the more knowledgeable members to answer, as I'm a newbie myself :)

Reactions: plumerella
Drop your pH to 7.4 with acid and raise your FC to 12-15 ppm. See what it looks like tomorrow. Or do all that first thing in the morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.