First time testing, I don’t trust my TA results…

theninjachachi

Jul 28, 2021
Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just starting the transition from traditional pool store pool management to the TFP method. My TF-100 test kit came in today and I’m pumped!

Tested the chlorine and PH and they both were about what I expected and what the pool store told me when I got it tested yesterday. Low end of FC and high end of PH.

I then did the TA test. It took 16 drops before the solution finally turned red. That gives me a TA of 160. I know TFP hates pool store tests, but it’s been very consistent and following a downward trend over the past few weeks 69, 60, 52. 160 vs 50 seems too massive a difference to not be some sort of issue on my end.

I haven’t ran the CYA test, but the pool store has shown readings right around 80 which also checks out (I used to use tablets).

I’m in Phoenix, so there are tons of pool stores. Would it be worth getting the water checked at another store to at least have some other results to compare to?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It's great to test your own water. For the TA, it may be the new bottle tips. For the #9, you might try rubbing the tip with a dry paper towel or cloth for the first few times between drops as it may have a bit of static electricity making the drops a bit smaller resulting in a higher test result. Hold the bottle vertically and allow each drop to flow slowly and in full sizes without squeezing too hard. That might help.

Reactions: jark87
Pool stores may report "adjusted alkalinity" which reduces TA by one-third of the CYA level. With TFP, there's no need to adjust the TA result. Pool Math will take care of that for you. I've experienced higher than expected TA results with newly shipped R-0009 reagents due to static charge. Wipe the tip as Pat mentioned and you'll probably see lower results after a few tests.

Best wishes!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It's great to test your own water. For the TA, it may be the new bottle tips. For the #9, you might try rubbing the tip with a dry paper towel or cloth for the first few times between drops as it may have a bit of static electricity making the drops a bit smaller resulting in a higher test result. Hold the bottle vertically and allow each drop to flow slowly and in full sizes without squeezing too hard. That might help.
Thanks for the welcoming! I’ll definitely try out the dry cloth trick and give it another go! In hindsight I probably should have gotten the set of standards from TF tests (as a former quality Engineer I don’t know how I overlooked standards lol)
Pool stores may report "adjusted alkalinity" which reduces TA by one-third of the CYA level. With TFP, there's no need to adjust the TA result. Pool Math will take care of that for you. I've experienced higher than expected TA results with newly shipped R-0009 reagents due to static charge. Wipe the tip as Pat mentioned and you'll probably see lower results after a few tests.

Best wishes!
When you say Pool Math will take care of that, I should still input what I get, right? And it will just adjusted the suggested values?

When you say Pool Math will take care of that, I should still input what I get, right? And it will just adjusted the suggested values?
Correct. The TA number won't change, but calculations will take CYA levels into account.

Reactions: theninjachachi
So you did 5 new TA tests and they all seem to be running high, even after wiping the tips huh? Then used a Taylor 100 standard formula and that seems to be high as well at 130? Just to be sure ..... you're adding 2 drops of #7 and only 5 drops of the green #8 correct?

@Leebo, would you care to confirm anything else?

So you did 5 new TA tests and they all seem to be running high, even after wiping the tips huh? Then used a Taylor 100 standard formula and that seems to be high as well at 130? Just to be sure ..... you're adding 2 drops of #7 and only 5 drops of the green #8 correct?

@Leebo, would you care to confirm anything else?
Yeah, I tried wiping with a dry cloth like you said and a damp cloth like the Taylor sheet said. I’m using 2 drops of R-0007, then 5 drops of R-0008 then I start dropping R-0009 (vertically), wiping with a cloth, and swirling.

And yeah I tried about 5 samples of my own pool water first (measured 52 adjusted TA at Leslies last week) and I’ve been getting right around 150/160 and the standard (R-7064) measured to be 130. Kind of frustrating :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You really should still come close using the standard even without the Speedstir. I’m not sure why the noticeable difference. I know I tend to get better results with it as it eliminates the need to swirl manually…..but still you should be seeing results closer.

You really should still come close using the standard even without the Speedstir. I’m not sure why the noticeable difference. I know I tend to get better results with it as it eliminates the need to swirl manually…..but still you should be seeing results closer.
I probably should have scaled down the test using the sample, but since it’s only 2oz and the standard TA test is 25mL, I can only perform 2 full tests using the standard- which I did.

Sounds like your testing is spot on. A higher TA in your area is not unusual if the water has not been properly managed.

Sounds like your testing is spot on. A higher TA in your area is not unusual if the water has not been properly managed.
Thanks mknauss (and everyone else in this thread)!

I'm a little confused as to why the TA would be as high as it is. Baking soda hasn't been added at least since I moved in (2 months ago) and I add some Muriatic acid just about every night to lower the pH. I've only added Chlorine (originally in tabs (n) - why my CYA is like 80/90), Muriatic Acid, and hose water when needed.

Up until this week I have been testing at Leslies (n) and the TA results by week have gone 69, 69, 52, and 46 (testing at 2 different locations). I understand that those are adjusted values and if the unadjusted TA is lesliesTA+(.3*CYA) then the results would be 98, 96, 80, 74. I understand that TFP hates pool store testing, but given the situation - it's tough to take my 110+ TA at face value...

Your fill water TA is most likely quite high. You do not say where in Arizona you are, but if you use Colorado River water the TA is about 130 ppm. Your acid use is just enough to counterbalance the TA addition from the fill water.

Your fill water TA is most likely quite high. You do not say where in Arizona you are, but if you use Colorado River water the TA is about 130 ppm. Your acid use is just enough to counterbalance the TA addition from the fill water.
Ah that's super interesting, thanks for the insight! I'm in Phoenix and it looks like our water mainly comes from the Verde, Salt, and Colorado Rivers.

And as far as the Leslie's TA tests go - I'm good to just disregard them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.