LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, I'm getting ready to start-up the system for the first time. Should the return side valves be closed before priming the pump the first time, or should the return valves be open?? The start-up instructions state the following (from the manual) See text in red if a priming problem occurs. It says to open the return valves if there's a problem.

1. Open the High Flow™ manual air relief valve until it snaps into the full open position (this only requires a quarter turn counterclockwise). Opening this valve rapidly releases air trapped in the filter. 2. Stand clear of the filter tank, then start the pump.
3. Close the High Flow™ manual air relief valve after a steady stream of water appears.
4. The system is not working properly if either of the following conditions occur.
a. A solid stream of water does not appear within 30 seconds, after the pump's inlet basket fills with water.
b. The pressure gauge indicates pressure before water outflow appears. If either condition exists, shut off the pump immediately, open valves in the water return line to relieve pressure, and clean the air relief valve, see Section F. Cleaning the High Flow™ manual air relief valve.

Before initial start-up & priming should the return valves be closed??
Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob! Usually whenever we start a system, we have all valves open - suction (before pump) and pressure side (after pump/filter). Before starting the pump, remove the clear lid to the pump basket, make sure the O-ring under the lid has a good amount of pool silicone lube, and then fill that pump pot with water. Replace the clear lid, then you can start the pump and watch. It "should" start to pull its owner water and prime in less than a minute. Some system may take a little longer. If the pump basket doesn't prime itself and stay full of water, or you have any problems, let us know.

Hey Texas.....Excellent... The instructions were a little fuzzy from Pentair. I opened the the two 3-way valves yesterday and filled the lines with water. I then opened the lid on the pump basket and filled that up too. Tomorrow I'll remove the lid and make sure there's plenty of lube on the O-ring before I lite off the pump. I have the relief valve on the cartridge filter open as well. I understand I'm supposed to turn on the pump and leave the relief valve open until I get a steady stream of water from there. Then close the relief valve and I should be in business,...

Thanks again for your time.....B:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.