First-time SLAM

NicDMX

Dec 24, 2017
Vienna/VA
I am in the process of opening the pool and conducting a SLAM. I have been surprised by the high chlorine use, especially since the water is just somewhat cloudy -- it is not green. I have gone through 9 gallon-sized jugs of 10% bleach in the past 7 hours. Is that surprising? Or par for the course when opening?

I have gone through 9 gallon-sized jugs of 10% bleach in the past 7 hours. Is that surprising? Or par for the course when opening?
Depends on what your SLAM goal is and the condition of your water. Curious - what was your CYA result?

You're doing fine then. Even when a pool is just cloudy, the algae is aggressive and can do some damage to chlorine. It takes a little over 6 gallons to take your FC from 0 - 16, and quite a bit will get used-up in the early stages of the SLAM. Your FC should begin to hold-up better as time goes on. Good luck on the SLAM!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.