First Time Slam Help

Use chlorine. MPS just adds sulfates. And messes up testing. CC goes away primarily with UV on the pool surface. It is created by your chlorine oxidizing ammonia based organic material. You should not have much of that in your pool, unless you add ammonia based algaecides.

My most recent readings:

TC 9
FC 1
CYA 54
TA 164
PH 7.4

But doesn't the sun also burn off the free chlorine? Leaving me in the same boat? I do have a safety cover, I've been trying to leave it off as much as possible during the day, but without much change to CC

It is not possible to have that level of CC wihout chemical disruption. Your testing is faulty.

Addition of MPS (non chlorine shock) or the existence of large amounts of ammonia in the water that chlorine is oxidizing. Your pool will not hold any FC if you have ammonia.

but isn't a lowering CYA a symptom of ammonia? My CYA has remained the same. As well, the pool is not giving off a potent chlorine smell, which you'd think it would with a CC that high. This is why i'm frustrated. I thought I had discovered the problem when I found the massive algae colony behind the light, but now I feel like I'm back to square one.

Correct, CYA would be 0 if you had ammonia from its degradation.

Something is disrupting your testing. Not sure what your water costs, but a large exchange to fresh water may be advised.

If you exchanged that much water, I now really question your testing. The DPD color match chlorine test is not working for some reason.

Once you get a FAS DPD, and report a non pool store CYA level, you can SLAM.

Your CCs will fix themselves. They are the result of chlorine doing it’s thing. Right now you have issues and CCs are expected. Once we have you with stupid clear water, Boom. No CCs. Speaking of clear water……. Check this out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s the goal @Newdude! Update: added a ******** of liquid chlorine 14 gallons 10.3% last night . Shock value of 23fc, still 2ppm CC. 5ppm FC loss over night, though I slept in (sunrise is around 5:30) and didn’t get a reading before the sun came up. So I just keep adding chlorine until the cc level is 0 and I have 0 FC loss over night?

So I just keep adding chlorine until the cc level is 0 and I have 0 FC loss over night?
Yup. 'Maintain' the SLAM FC until it stays because there is nothing left to kill. You're doing great !!! Stay the course.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.