First time pump/filter startup..Do I need to BOND it ?

Re: First time pump/filter startup..Do I NEED to ground it ?

Not bonding, your pool pump is insane, not to mention against code

If you have an above ground pool, you'l also need to bond the pump casing
to the pool frame you'll need #8 wire and a bonding connector with self
tapping screw about 5 bucks total. that especially includes any pool lights.
when you close the pool and bring in the pump you just unclamp the connector.

if you don't know what I mean, get a election, but do this, it is very important
and could save lives should a problem ever exist.

Gary

linen said:
I put a bonding lug onto my pool wall right at the seam on one of the bolts close to the ground. Since you had an installer, maybe you should ask them...they should know your area/local code enforcement, and they should have put a bonding lug on and maybe even run the wire to your equipment location. There may be a lug there behind one of your vertical supports. Figure out where your seam is, and peak behind that support for the lug.

Ok apparently my pool guy is not so bright. He didn't do any of those things. My pool is all steel and it is filled with water. I know your saying to figure out where the seam is but cant I just look behind any of the vertical supports and attach the bonding lug there ? And can this be done with the pool being full ?
Also...if the pool is all steel why would I have to connect to EVERY vertical ? Arent they all connected to each other just by being assembled ?

adding to this thread. I went outside to look at the pool. I dont think I can get to anything on the bottom being its full. I can attach a bonding lug and some copper wire from the screws that are near the caps and tuck it into behind the railing and run along the ground....would that suffice ? I can take a picture if needed.

here is a pic of mine...feel the liner all the way around the pool and that will help you find the seam. Then remove the upright cap at the wall seem and attach a bonding lug to the wall and another to an upright. Check with your local town inspector to see if more contact points are required :goodjob:

Mine is resin, so just had to bend the upright back

IMG_1067.jpg

dmanb2b said:
here is a pic of mine...feel the liner all the way around the pool and that will help you find the seam. Then remove the upright cap at the wall seem and attach a bonding lug to the wall and another to an upright. Check with your local town inspector to see if more contact points are required :goodjob:

Mine is resin, so just had to bend the upright back
OK Dman I will look. Thanks for the reply.
So it seems like wherever the seam is, there will be all these screws running behind the vertical.
Is it possible to get to this for a steel wall pool ? Also are all updright caps removeable ? I dont see an easy way to just flip it up.
Out of curiosity--shouldnt my pool installer have done this ? Do you think its worth it to ask him to come back to do it ? He didnt install the pump/filter because I didnt realize the filter I bought didnt have all the fittings and hoses.
I paid 675.00 to have them install the pool. Got them off of service magic...highly rated but not sure if thats worth anything at this point.

Steel walled pools will have the same type seam in the wall. That's where our bond is attached. Almost exactly like the pic Dman posted.

The paperwork with our pool specifically states that only the one bonding connection is required, being that it's a continous sheet and all the uprights and rails attach to it. Your local inspector might see it differently. Some make you attach the bonding wire to 4 places around the pool.

All the upright caps are removable. Mine have a push-in cap that covers the screws that hold them on. If you'll post a pic of yours we may be able to help you figure out how to remove them.

Just curious? couldn't driving a rod into the ground near the pool edges, possibly
cause some liner bottom area's to cave a bit? wouldn't just bonding to the pump
motor whenever possible be a better choice in some cases?.

Gary

Bonding IS NOT the same thing as GROUNDING !

What bonding is supposed to do is to put all metal at the same voltage potential, so you don't shock yourself touching the pool and your pump at the same time.

Grounding is something you do to a building - this is where you drive that 8 feet long rod into the ground and connect it to your equipment ground with #6 or #8 bare copper wire.

You don't drive a ground rod near the pool. The bonding loop on a pool is supposed to be a #8 bare copper wire that's attached to every metallic part that's within 5' of the pool wall or that touches the water (pump, swcg, etc.). In the U.S. it's not required to be grounded.

I have the Intex 1600 gph pool and SWG system from Walmart and a 12'x36" Summer Escapes pool. I haven't installed the pump yet... since we don't haven't installed an outlet near the pool for the new filter. Still using the skimmer filter that came with the pool connected to an outdoor extension cord and we unplug it when we swim. do I need to have a dedicated outlet installed and is grounding and bonding needed for my pool also?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Below photo is a correctly bonded 18 round above ground pool, its very simple
to do, also note the code required, conduit expansion joint and wet location cover
twist lock receptacle, and switch. The pool wall also needed to be no less then 6' from the
fence, and on the other side of pool not shown, I needed to run another wet location
box for another receptacle on its own GFI line, no closer then 5' and no more then 10'
away from the pool wall as well, and lastly a self locking fence gate also not shown.

I think code wants to make sure there is a receptacle for general use, so no one uses
the pump receptacle for anything else.

This may sound confusing at first, but it all makes since, for safety purposes

also check out the fence, that was covered in poison Ivy just a couple of weeks ago took
2 days to remove it.

Also if someone could explain the proper way to include a photo, I tried the images tag
but just get a link

PumpSeup.jpg

I fixed it but in Photobucket there's several links at the bottom of the photo when the owner is vewing them that you can just click on and then paste the link directly.

That's a good setup, but in some jurisdictions that still wouldn't be properly bonded. Some inspectors require the conductor to loop all the way around the pool and be attached to the wall in four places. (I agree that on a steel wall pool one place bonds the entire structure, but some inspectors don't see it that way)

Every jurisdiction is different. Around here we're not even required to bond an above ground pool, which I think is crazy!

wow guys. Just to run the electric (about 40 feet from my house) and bond the pool I have gotten quotes from 700 to $1700.00 ...nuts. The guy who was 1700 swears that the bonding has to go around the pool and attach in four places. He even gave me the number of the local inspector to call to verify. Blah..I am NOT paying anyone 1700.00 to do the bonding and electric. I will have one of the less expensive ones do it.

Yup..that sounds about right. It's important to ask what is in the quote, in writing. If you decide to go with the less expensive quote make sure it inlcudes in your contract that wiring will be performed to code and full payment is contingent on passing inspection. $1700 does sounds a little pricey, but if it includes trenching, cost of the electrical permit, backfill etc, it may not be that bad.

Do call that inspector though so you can put your mind at ease :goodjob: Where are you located?

If you do the trenching yourself that will save a significant portion of that estimate. Before you do it make sure to call your local "one-call" service to have buried utilities marked in your yard, and find out from the electrician how deep it needs to be buried in your locality.

I dont know your local rules DIYGuy, but in my area that would not pass. The bonding in my area has to be #8 BARE solid copper, and attach to four points around the pool. Also, the equipment would have to be on a raised pad like an A/C unit with 6" bare pad all the way around equipment. I didnt know about the expansion coupling though, learn something new every day!

For the bonding wire around the perimeter of the pool it only needs to be 4-6 inches below sub-grade, so you can pretty much do this by putting a shovel down and Pulling the cut to one side. If you are a diy, it is pretty simple.

dont know your local rules DIYGuy, but in my area that would not pass. The bonding in my area has to be #8 BARE solid copper, and attach to four points around the pool. Also, the equipment would have to be on a raised pad like an A/C unit with 6" bare pad all the way around equipment. I didnt know about the expansion coupling though, learn something new every day

I'm a electrician, and have never heard of a slab for the filter/pump being code required, for an above ground, and I have friends in the trade all over, block is fine around here, I'd like to know what area your in that sounds tough do you have the inspector's general number, also that wire in the photo is #8 and of solid copper, I would be shocked (no pun intended) if your local code, only required a bare wire, sure that's not a misunderstanding of some sorts?.

Gary

[s:3a06ckdl]The code specifically states 'bare #8 awg solid copper conductor'.[/s:3a06ckdl]

Strike that. I was reading conductive pool shells section and it states that a vinyl liner pool isn't considered conductive. However the metal wall is considered metallic components and must be bonded. And 680.26(B) says. 'solid copper conductors, insulated covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG...'.

680.26(B)(2) is where the 'attached to the pool reinforcing steel or copper conductor grid at a minimum of four (4) points uniformly spaced around the perimeter of the pool' Comes from. The problem is that most inspectors fail to read the last sentence. It says 'For nonconductive pool shells, bonding at four points shall not be required.' Remember Vinyl liner pools aren't considered to be conductive shell pools. Having said that, if the inspector wants you to bond your AGP in four places around the wall, don't argue. That's one of those win the battle, lose the war deals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.