First time poster, question about pool umbrellas

MeesterK

Jul 11, 2019
Los Angeles
Hi everyone! I found this forum through a google search about in-pool umbrellas. This was the thread that came up: Umbrella pole material choice with salt water pool

but it was suggested that I start a new one as this was posted so long ago.

Like the poster in that thread, I have a fairly new pool that has built in umbrella sleeves in the shallow area of the pool (18 inch deep baja). Most of the time, the sleeves are empty. But when guests are over and it is very sunny out, I'll place a pole into the sleeve to attach an umbrella. The base looks like this: Amazon.com : BenefitUSA Patio Umbrella Lower Pole 33.5"(L)X1.5"(Dia) : Garden & Outdoor

The poles are taken out at the end of parties, maybe 4 hours at a time, 6 times over this past year. Because of the powdercoating, there does not appear to be any rusting. But is this something I can rely on?

Also, a guest placed one of my lawn chairs into the pool last week for around 15 minutes. When I grabbed it out, the metal legs dripped rusty colored water. It did not seem like the pool was affected as the water still maintained its pristine color. But should I be worried about chemistry problems at all with the iron/rust?

Thank you in advance for the responses and I'm so happy to have found this forum!

Hi there MeesterK :)

While I'm not sure about the powder coated pole, I would say yeah, you need to avoid those chairs in the pool. Try to find some nice plastic ones, they come in such great colors these days. Metals can certainly stain a pool so don't risk it.
Just Googled this (not a reference, just an example) --> PVC Pipe Furniture | PIPEFINEPATIOFURNITURE

I wonder if there is any way to use PVC pipe instead for an umbrella pole? Salt water doesn't hurt PVC at all.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: MeesterK
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.