First time Pool Owner Question

I too am new at this, I bought the tf-100 and taylor salt test. Haven't had to add any manual chlorine and only a small amount of acid. If I had been using pool store advice I would have already bought $100 in chlorine and $50 in shock and $50 in Algecide.

They told me I need to backwash my de filter once a week and put 7 pounds in every time and that my grids will go out soon and cost $1400.

They couldn't have been more wrong about everything they have said! Don't go back to that pool store there is nothing there for you but lost money. I know $100 sounds like a lot but you will save that money back very quickly and have a much nicer pool to swim in, less headaches, etc. Better in everyway. Just keep reading and try your best to buy a kit from tftestkits.

Last edited:
Turned the SWG down some last night, and it's continuing to clear still. Its slowly clearing, but it is clearing. I will test my water in the morning to see what the numbers are, and if my FC is the same. The filter ran all night last night, but it is off now, and will be till the morning. Praying it is just going to take time to clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well after not running the pool last night, and lowering my SWG to about 60% yesterday my FC level is still 5.0, CYA is 70. As you know I have been testing at the pool store. My pool water is still a little cloudy, but not too bad. Pool store said today chemically everything looks good, if it's still a little cloudy just run the filter more, and it should clear up.

I don't mean to harp on it, but you really can't follow pool store advice *and* the info here. They will almost always disagree and you'll waste time and money trying to follow both.

You could probably go to 3 pool stores and get 3 different sets of test results which is why we rely on our own tests to be sure.

The thing is, the SLAM process does not let the FC drop down to normal levels until you pass the 3 tests to stop it, one of which is clear water. So, if you follow the pool store advice they're telling you everything is fine and just wait and see.

If you follow our advice we'd be telling you that you're gambling right now. You might get lucky and it clears up or you might come out in a couple days and you're green again.

It's just so important to know those test numbers and to know they are right and you just can't know for sure with the pool store. I wish you luck and I hope it just clears up for you. You can't SLAM properly without your own test kit anyway because it relies on the precision of the tests, especially the CYA and the Drop based FAS-DPD chlorine test. Without at least those 2 tests in your possession it's a gamble either way.

If I lived near you I'd just let you use mine.

You got me there. Off the top of my head I don't remember! I just know it's the one that uses the powder and drops. There is OTO which is the kind that you usually get, it compares colors of yellow and just uses drops. There is a DPD test I think which is what people tend to get accidently because the pool store tells them it's the same thing.

Whatever you do, the test needs to come with a bottle of liquid, a little container of powder, usually a tiny blue spoon and a test vial.

http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

There is the tf 50 kit which is a bit cheaper but it doesn't come with a ph test and you'd have to buy one seperately at some point. If you look on that site there is a link for individual tests. That will show you what the CYA test stuff looks like and what the FAS-DPD test stuff looks like.

It's slightly different looking (and probably costs more!) if you get it directly from taylor but he uses the taylor reagents, just repackages them. (My guess would be buying in bulk and separating out to smaller quantities to save money)

I would probably be able to get that sooner then a tf100.
Either one would ship today if you order by 2:00PM....they are always in stock.

I will add to what beens said (and not trying to "push" you into a test kit) by saying pool store advice and our advice are never the same. TFPC teaches you to stay out of the pool store and educate yourself so you understand what your pool needs.....not relying on the advice of pool store folks. That's a decision you'll have to make soon.

I do want a test kit, and I've just been running to the pool store because my landlord thinks she can put what chemicals the pool store says to put in, and then leave it, and it will work itself out. I know from reading on here it's a lot more then that. Our pool store hasn't pushed anything on me, they've actually been cool like that and only basically told me what their results say, and give me a print out. They haven't said oh you have to buy this and this. I don't know what test they use, I know they sell the taylor tests (at a higher price the TFTestkits) I can't buy today, but it will be in the near future. I know i'm gambling right now with my pool being clear/cloudy/free of algea.

On another note, what is the best way to get rid of algea stains?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.