First time pool owner in Louisiana

Welcome! ?
You are in the right place! Many would envy you starting with a new pool AND with TFP advice! Most come here after a disaster / green pool and need to exchange or drain pool due to too much cya and other additives.

I suggest Peruse pool school and issues in the Forum to study up.

You will also need a proper test kit, either TF100 or k2006c. Tf100 can be found at tftestkits.net
The experts won't be able to help much without one of those, strips and pool store tests are notoriously unreliable.
If you know what your equipment is put that information and your pool type in four signature to help them guide you. Check out mine or some others for examples. If on phone, turn sideways to see sigs.

Good luck!
I copied this from another member...heh Lion King (Clear Water in Future).JPG

Tiger,

A little more info on the signature. Click on your name above right and then open "signature" then add pool type, size, equipment make/model etc and PRESS SAVE. After you do this the information will be added at the bottom of every post. Many questions members ask require this information to get an answer. So our experts can get a response to you without having to go through a few extra cycles of questions to you. Also, as previously mentioned get your test kit ordered asap. You don't want to have to wait on this after a problem arises. And if you start up on TFP methodology and stay on it, you won't ever have a problem. I found the TF 100 with the XL option great for a new pool owner as you'll be doing a lot of testing to "get to know your pool". It has plenty of reagent for two years in most cases. If you keep them in proper storage conditions they lasted that long for me even though they are only guaranteed for one year. tfptestkits also offers refill reagent a couple times per year at sale prices. You can get some of the Taylor reagent replacements at Amazon and some in huge bottles that appear to be great price. The huge bottles last so long you'll end up throwing most of it away. So I'd avoid this unless you're starting up a pool service.

I hope this helps.

Chris