First time pool owner and now aspiring chemist - want to do this right

NickinNC

May 11, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Hello all....semi long time lurker, first time poster.

We moved into a house this winter that has a pool, never owning a pool before I was hesitant on the maintenance but after a few missteps at first and some google searches I came across TFP and am confident I can do this myself.

First off I ordered the TF-100 test kit but used some test (guess) strips to get a basic idea of where the pool was before it arrived. I had fought an algae issue before finding TFP and am sure my efforts to correct that led me into the fist issue. Clorox Test strips and App put my CYA at around 250 (likely due to the pucks left over from previous owner and shock I used to kill the algae), so after about 4 partial drain and refills I am sitting at 50 - Confirmed with TF-100 test. So my first set of readings with the test kit are below:

FC 6.5
CC 0.5
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH 200
CYA 50

So, looks like TA is high, CH is low...any particular order to tackle those? I also see some occasional algae on the walls, should I SLAM the pool, if so do I get TA and CH to the right levels and then SLAM or SLAM first then retest and go from there...

FYI - The pool has some staining in the deep end and a decent amount of white residue (assume scaling) on the water line tile - I'll tackle these at some point but want to get the basics down first.

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the forum!
TA does not need to be focused on. The higher value right now is actually helping as your CH is a touch low.
In your area I would suggest adding 50-100 ppm worth of calcium.
As you adjust the pH from 8 to 7.6, the TA will come down on its own. Test it every time you need to add acid as you need that data point to determine how much acid to add.
Maintain your FC -- overall looks great!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you mknauss for the advice.

So you are saying I should target around 300 for CH, is that based on the type of pool and my location? I wasn't sure what number to target as PoolMath and the Recommended Chemical Levels page have such a large acceptable range.

After reading up some more, I understand now that as I manage my pH over time, TA will also decrease with each acid treatment. At what point do I start worrying about TA being too low?

I do not believe you have high CH fill water. You also get rain, such that you may not use much fill water. With that, a CH of 250-300 ppm is good to protect your plaster.

As your TA gets below 100, your pH will not climb as fast as long as you are not aerating the water on a regular basis. If TA drops below 50 ppm, then it is a concern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.