First time owner, new to US Northeast - Opening challenges

How do you know when to replace a filter cartridge? My cartridge may need to be cleaned for the first time today whereas I’ve had to clean the skimmer sock 3 or 4 times already.

Also showing off my skimmer screen rig lol. I’m using socks because the bottom plate ripped out the first time I tried to vacuum the shag carpet at the bottom of the pool… New basket due in next week.IMG_5122.jpegdirty^

IMG_5124.jpegClean^

IMG_5123.jpegRig^

Will-do. I can pull it and clean it now. Filter combo is brand new. Hayward xStream 150sqft with a 1.5hp pump.

Clean filter 15psi, and I usually pull to clean around 20-22psi.

The pleats originally would get as dark and fugly as that skimmer sock pic but they haven’t really been gumming up like that the last two or three days.

IMG_5127.jpeg

Pressure before cleaning

IMG_5128.jpeg

Filter condition

IMG_5129.jpegIMG_5130.jpeg

Mid-clean. Sometimes I’ll use a low power pressure washer (Sun Joe electric with widest nozzle). I don’t hit it with pressure I wouldn’t spray on myself.

IMG_5131.jpeg

Clean

IMG_5132.jpeg

Cleaning skimmer sock

IMG_5133.jpeg

Sock debris comes off in a clump/sludge-like consistency.

IMG_5134.jpeg

Clean pressure!

That’s pretty much my process.

Will-do on the 19psi! Gonna be busy busy lol.

What struck me as weird is that there’s no manifold. Just a single cartridge in the center of the filter body.

Also, I just thought of another question…why do folks half-drain their pools up here for the winter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Read somewhere you can dilute high chlorine water with DI water 50/50 to get a pH reading at high FC levels. Idk if it’s true, but it read at 7.4 when I tried it. Seems about right…that’s close to where I started SLAM.

Exported my tests from PoolMath for a little better visual representation to go with yesterday’s pictures (I f’ing love a good chart lol). The red bar indicates SLAM at CYA 50.

IMG_5163.png

Numbers and water seem to be tracking the way we want. Full-SLAM AHEAD!!

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
Still SLAMing. It seems to be clearing very very slowly; feels like it’s taking way longer than it’s supposed to. Was this just a super filthy pool?

Today’s status:
FC 23.0
CC 0.5

IMG_5187.jpegIMG_5188.jpeg

Testing/adding FC at 2-3 hour intervals. Was gonna be away most of the day yesterday so I spiked it up to 33FC, and she stayed above shock level for 24 straight hours…tested at 23 this morning.

When I’m home, I just add about 1 cup of chlorine every hour and test every 3 or 4 hours. No doubt in my mind that we’ve been over shock level for the past 48-72 hours straight.

I was cleaning the filter once a day regardless of pressure. Just cleaned at 18psi (16psi clean), and I think I’m going to start cleaning the filter two or three times a day.

Old filter was sand, and there were close to 4 or 5 cups of sand in the filter tank over the course of this process so far…looks like it was blowing sand into the pool for a little while. I purge the sand every time I clean the cartridge.

Above ground filters are notoriously undersized...

How often are you cleaning the filter?
How often are you testing/adding FC?
This filter combo is new, and I’m looking at increasing my pipe diameters to 2” to accommodate the extra flow. Looks like a couple of adapters and some teflon tape would fix that lol.

Pretty sure it passed OCLT last night.

I keep flirting with the idea of adding clarifier but not sure if the chlorine would just eat it lol. We’ve been >20 for a solid week. FC falls very slowly during the day and hardly at all overnight. CC feels 0.5-1.0.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support