First time owner - Need help balancing water

We would typically call that CYA 40 then (round up). Does your pool get a lot of direct sun and heat there? If so, you can take it up to 50, or just wait a another month or so. Your call really. Just be sure to keep the FC matched to the CYA you chose per the FC/CYA Levels. Looking good right now. :goodjob:

Yes, the pool gets direct sun nearly the entire day. If I want to match the CYA chart, since my pool is salt, shouldn't I take the CYA up to at least 70? What's your rationale for waiting a month? Just as a reminder, I'm away next week so I want to make sure things will be ok when I return.

I missed the SWG in your sig. :brickwall: But yes, salt pools we generally recommend a CYA of 70 once the water temp is high enough to operate. That's the other variable I was thinking of since several other pools in the region are still chilly. But if you can get the SWG going before your trip - go for it. CYA of 70 it is.

Well I'm back from vacation. Took some measurements today and here's where I stand:

FC: 8.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 110
CYA: 70

Seems like I should just turn down my SWG a bit to let the FC naturally reduce, and then maybe add some muriatic acid to lower PH to 7 and then aerate to bring the PH back up?

I would not change a thing. The FC is fine, the pH is perfect. Leave it be. Test every other day or so (pH and FC) and maintain.

Reactions: clambert1273

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
According to the FC/CYA chart, my FC is much higher than it should be. Shouldn't I try to get it closer to the ideal level?

And then I mentioned messing with the ph, it was with the goal of getting the TA lower, I know the ph itself is in a good place right now.

According to the FC/CYA chart, my FC is much higher than it should be. Shouldn't I try to get it closer to the ideal level?
No need to rush it. The FC should start to fall on its own, especially as the summer approaches. After a few days if you are still concerned the SWG is putting-out more FC than you need, you can always adjust the output or pump run time accordingly.

Reactions: mknauss
A 50% starting point should be sufficient. Occasionally an owner will say they are struggling with getting stabilizer to dissolve. Not sure is it's a brand thing or what. I use a regular tube sock, let it soak for about 30 minutes, and it squeezes out like a cloud from the sock in a few minutes. Marty gives some ideas above you can try. Or you can try soaking that sock in a bucket of warm water and squeeze after about 30 minutes in that bucket to see if it will pre-dissolve better for you.
I use knee high panty hose type things, fill em up, tie em off and hang them my husband calls them the pool balls socks 😂😂😂

Reactions: Texas Splash
I hadn't measured the water in a few days so I took a full set of readings:

FC: 5.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 150
CYA: 50

Still letting the FC start to go down with a lower SWG setting so I think that's fine. TA is starting to drop so that's probably fine too. CH seems low, but I've read I don't need to worry about that much since my pool in vinyl, so should I care? And lastly it seems my CYA has gone down. It has rained some this past week, but not that much. Is it likely it has actually gone down and I should add stabilizer? Or is it just testing inaccuracies since that test is somewhat subjective?

If you have not drained water, the CYA has not changed that much.

Keep your FC up at target for CYA of 70.

I hadn't measured the water in a few days so I took a full set of readings:

FC: 5.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 150
CYA: 50

Still letting the FC start to go down with a lower SWG setting so I think that's fine. TA is starting to drop so that's probably fine too. CH seems low, but I've read I don't need to worry about that much since my pool in vinyl, so should I care? And lastly it seems my CYA has gone down. It has rained some this past week, but not that much. Is it likely it has actually gone down and I should add stabilizer? Or is it just testing inaccuracies since that test is somewhat subjective?
I think that depends on how you do the test, I don't find it really subjective

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.