First time opening - CYA and SLAM question

Welcome back! :wave: Well, your chlorine is almost non-existent, and CYA less than 30 which means it's almost zero as well. Yes - now is the time to SLAM. Increase CYA with granular stabilizer - about $16 at Wal-Mart of the big box stores. Use the sock method and squeeze often. Increase FC to 12 using regular bleach and test often to maintain the FC of 12.

I see one problem however ...... only a 6-way test kit? You won't be able to test FC at the lever of 12. Do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 (link below in my sig)? I would really encourage you to get that now for accurate readings. Slam link is also below. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

dbtgallery.php

I just ordered the TF 100 test kit. Do you think it would be OK to start adding some bleach and stabilizer. Looks like a I need to add some borax according to the pool calculator. My pool is very dirty and I need to get started. Thanks

Because we really don't know your true CYA number yet, it's best to not add any stabilizer yet. I'd hate for you to actually go too high which would require more bleach for the SLAM process. For now though, adding about 1/2 gallon of regular/plain bleach each day and mixing around won't hurt. Don't worry about adding anything else or adjusting any other chemicals at this time. Once you receive the TF-100, post a full set of numbers and we'll guide you through the next (SLAM) step. Have a good day.

I guess it would be ok for me to turn on filter and start cleaning and vacuuming?
Sure. Just be mindful that your filter pressure could increase quickly with algae and such in the water. But moving things around and removing what you can now is a good idea.

I got my TF 100 test kit in today. These are my numbers:
FC-0
CC-0
pH-7.2
TA-200
CYA-0
CH-525
Pool is fairly clear, greenish. I have had filter running for approx 28 hours. I have brushed sides and vacumed 4 times. No debris in bottom. I have added 3 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine the past 2 days. What do I need to do now? Thank you for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll give you some basic steps to follow:
1 - Increase FC to "10". Check 10 minutes later to ensure it's trying to hold - at least still over 5. If not, increase FC immediately and repeat until the FC start to hold for 10 minutes.
2 - Once item 1 is good, add stabilizer for a CYA target of "30". At that point, increase FC to "12" which is now your "SLAM" level.

Your pH is already good, and the other items have no bearing on the SLAM. At this point, focus on maintaining the FC of "12" as best as possible until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria (link below). Make sure to review the SLAM page daily as to not forget anything. Once you pass the SLAM, we'll evaluate your water color for iron. Hope that helps.

How do you get the FC to 10? Pool calculation said 2 gallons. I have added much more than that and am only at 3. Do I just keep adding bleach?
Exactly! Follow the steps in my post above (#11) and that will work. You have some serious bacteria tearing-up the new bleach (FC) you're adding, and you have to be consistent with that 10-min testing to break through that barrier. Once you do, you'll know it.

Just wanted to make sure I am testing FC correct. When the solution is pink and I start adding drops, it will look clear then change back to a pink. Do I stop counting the drops the first time it clears or the last time. When checking tonight, it looked clear after 4 drops which meant FC of 2. I walked away a couple of minutes and it was pink again. Just wanting to get correct reading. Thanks.

As soon as it goes clear. If you let the solution sit even for say 30 seconds, it will begin to change to a light pink. So record your FC as soon as it's clear.

From the Pool School - FAS-DPD Chlorine Test page:
If the sample turns pink for a moment and then turns clear again, or if it turns brown, add another dipper of R-0870.
If left sitting on the counter, the sample will turn pink again one or two minutes after the test is completed. This is normal.
The point is it should go clear while you are mixing and adding drops. If it changes back & forth "during" the mixing, that's when you may need to add just a little more powder.

Wondering if I am making any progress. Pool is clearing with tint of green in deep end. Can see the drain. I have put in 40 gallons of 10% bleach and 4 lbs stabilizer since Wednesday. These are numbers now.
FC-2
CC-4
pH-6.8
TA-60
CYA-30
What suggestions for now. We are still trying to raise the FC to 10. No debris in pool. It actually looks pretty good compared to other times we have opened using pool store chemicals in the past. I am all in on the BBB method. I know it will take time. Thanks

I'll be honest. Those numbers concern me. Your FC should be at 12. Assuming everything went as noted in step #11 above (10-min drill), there should be no problem reaching and maintaining that FC of 12. Your CC is extremely elevated which makes me wonder if that 10-min drill wasn't completed as designed. It is good you are seeing some positive changes though. I would encourage you to do two things today:
1 - Double-check the pH - it's very low (acidic). If you can aerate the water or add a little borax just to get it up over 7.0 that would be good; especially since your FC is low.
2 - Then increase that FC to 12. You must test as often as it takes to help the bleach to hold. If you don't, the FC will be destroyed too quickly and overrun by the contaminants. So do your best to elevate and maintain that FC. Once you do, there should be a clear change in the testing where the FC holds much better over time.

Thanks for your response. I'm sure I didn't do the 10 minutes correctly due to time constraints. I would put bleach in and not test soon enough. I guess I need to be there constantly. How long should it take to get to 12 and how much bleach? I know you probably don't know for sure. This morning the FC and CC was both 1. The last reading was at 1:30. I will recheck the pH and add bored if still low. How much do you recommend? Thanks

To determine your amount to add, it's always best to use the Poolmath calculator (link at top of page and below in my signature). Just update your pool gallon size then enter the NOW and GOAL amounts. The calculator will do the rest. You just want to pH to increase a little. As for the bleach, same thing. Use the calculator to see how much bleach to add. My pool is 18K, and I know one gallon of regular 8.25% bleach from the laundry section will increase my FC by about 5. So your pool will go-up a little less. If you're at 1 now, you know you need at least two - 2.5 gallons right away, then re-test in about 10 minutes. You'll need to test frequently until the pool water fights-off the aggressive bacteria or whatever is eating-up your bleach. Once it starts to win that battle, the FC will hold much better. But the early stage right now is most important - frequent testing and bleach adding to maintain the FC of 12.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.