First time designing a pool - would love your advice!

HarveyDempt

Apr 8, 2022
Charlotte, NC
We have a design that we are nearly set on and we are excited, but nervous to overlook anything that might have us regretting adding (or not adding) something down the road.

Design is here -
We love the design I've attached here because it has some of our favorite design elements - barstools, large tanning ledge, plenty of seating areas, firepit, cabana

Specs
  • Pool Dimensions - 15' x 32' rectangular (3.5' in shallow, 6' in deep)
  • Spa - 7' x 7'
  • Tanning Ledge - 14'x7' with bubblers and umbrella sleeves
  • Bar stools - four 12" diameter stools (at 10" depth) formed on a 3'x14' ledge at depth of 3' in deep end
  • Cabana - 10' x 11' open cabana with electric for outlet and fan

Would love thoughts from those of you that have built previously:
- We want some water noise, but currently only have 2 bubblers built into the tanning ledge. Is that enough or should we add a few deck-jets on the back wall?
- The spa is flush with the pool. We could raise it to get a spillover, but wanted to reduce any sight line blockers as we have small children that will be swimming in the deep end.
- What did you wish you did differently?
- Did you regret not adding certain features during your initial build?

Thank you!

Good luck on your build, your design looks great!
My thoughts on bubblers, we have a tanning ledge as well with two LED bubblers, we barley turn them on, for one they are loud and two they create a lot of wave motion in the pool. Would I get them again...maybe. We do however use our 3 - 18" sheer decents often, they are not as loud and add just the right amount of sound. Our backyard small, so maybe in a larger space the bubblers wouldn't be so "loud".

We have a design that we are nearly set on and we are excited, but nervous to overlook anything that might have us regretting adding (or not adding) something down the road.

Design is here -
We love the design I've attached here because it has some of our favorite design elements - barstools, large tanning ledge, plenty of seating areas, firepit, cabana

Specs
  • Spa - 7' x 7'
  • Bar stools - four 12" diameter stools (at 10" depth) formed on a 3'x14' ledge at depth of 3' in deep end

- We want some water noise, but currently only have 2 bubblers built into the tanning ledge. Is that enough or should we add a few deck-jets on the back wall?
- The spa is flush with the pool. We could raise it to get a spillover, but wanted to reduce any sight line blockers as we have small children that will be swimming in the deep end.

Thank you!
You pool is almost identical to in size to mine..

For the our SPA we did not want site line blocker, but in all honesty I kind of wish we did the raised SPA I really like the look of them...

For water noise we have a bubbler and 3 shear descent on a raised beam.. Some people say the shear descent are too loud but we love them they help down out ambient noise of the surrounding neighborhood. We also have a really big yard and no nearby fences or houses for sound to reflect off of. Also if you want to run your water features and SPA at the same time you will probally need a second pump. Ask your PB about this.

Make sure you budget for after build stuff.. Sprinkler system repair, new furniture, landscaping repair and additions, etc.. typically the builder will not provide that stuff.

See my sig for a complete documentation on my build.

Love the design-classic style pool with some pizzaz! The only thing catching my eye is what looks like a sort of swim up bar-it seems awkward as most of the ones I’ve seen the bar top is raised up a bit or if it’s flush like your design the area behind the bar top is sunken.

Attachments

• 62B6568D-4234-4A9A-A47C-DAE8090EDFAA.jpeg
    62B6568D-4234-4A9A-A47C-DAE8090EDFAA.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 18871B29-93FA-451E-8B1F-CB3FF3028CC2.jpeg
    18871B29-93FA-451E-8B1F-CB3FF3028CC2.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 57
swim up bar-it seems awkward as most of the ones I’ve seen the bar top is raised up a bit or if it’s flush like your design the area behind the bar top is sunken.
Great point. One PB was adamant that our design was awkward because those in the bar would be looking up at those in the cabana.

We were less concerned about the angle and preferred to have the cabana at pool level

For the spa, what are they using for jets? Are they just ball returns, or are they special therapy jets?
I din't think to ask this till late in my build. I am now trying to get them to use parajets from paramount. (the office guy that does the scheduling first claimed no inventory available, then refused to respond when i showed him paramounts page saying stock available and that they ere only $13 online. I ended up ordering them and showed the construction supervisor, who said it should be no problem)

For the spa, what are they using for jets? Are they just ball returns, or are they special therapy jets?
I din't think to ask this till late in my build. I am now trying to get them to use parajets from paramount. (the office guy that does the scheduling first claimed no inventory available, then refused to respond when i showed him paramounts page saying stock available and that they ere only $13 online. I ended up ordering them and showed the construction supervisor, who said it should be no problem)
No idea! Care to summarize the benefit of those?

No idea! Care to summarize the benefit of those?
They are more like the jets in a hot tub and not just basic pool returns. I like how the sit nice and flush with wall.
Here is the video from paramount.
Disclaimer, i was unable to find a lot of info on them (they used to be called twirlybyrd before paramount acquired them). I guess NOT finding complaints is as good as finding positive feedback. ?
There are other solutions as well, but they needed to be plumbed in before gunite and i was well past that phase. Waterway storm jet was one.
Longer video from a pool builder:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Barstools will create difficulty for a robot to navigate your pool. You'd likely need one that has a floor only option and forego using it for wall duty. That would work for this pool since the barstools are elevated. Barstools on the main pool floor cause the robot to get stuck between/around them.

I'm not a barstool in pool fan but I understand the appeal. It's a cleaning and usage complication for me. By usage I mean it creates more rules for kids to follow at that section of the pool.

I love the pavilion (we have one too), large deck space and firepit. Is the firepit gas? And I love lots of benches. I'd probably put something on the side opposite the house or in the bare corner. Seats on that side will naturally face the spa and house for conversing.

• Wow
Reactions: Gladius Nova
Barstools will create difficulty for a robot to navigate your pool. You'd likely need one that has a floor only option and forego using it for wall duty. That would work for this pool since the barstools are elevated. Barstools on the main pool floor cause the robot to get stuck between/around them.

I'm not a barstool in pool fan but I understand the appeal. It's a cleaning and usage complication for me. By usage I mean it creates more rules for kids to follow at that section of the pool.

I love the pavilion (we have one too), large deck space and firepit. Is the firepit gas? And I love lots of benches. I'd probably put something on the side opposite the house or in the bare corner. Seats on that side will naturally face the spa and house for conversing.

My thought was that the main area of the pool would get clean from the robot, but that I would manually brush or vacuum the barstool area. I could be biting off more than I can chew, but having some seating in the deep end seemed like the best idea for the way we entertain.

We are thinking of making the cabana a bit longer as well - I love the added shade options. Firepit is gas! maybe a bench on the bare side would make sense!

Are you going to watch movies? Look at where the sun will be in the evening, and think about projector and screen placement, and position seating accordingly.

Design is here -

Specs
  • Spa - 7' x 7'

Thank you!

Design is here -

Specs
  • Spa - 7' x 7'

Thank you!
3.5 in shallow is great that’s what I have and I also have 6 ft in deep. Unless you guys are all well over 6 ft than 5 ft is what I wished I went with. Its hard to play ball type games etc and tread water.

I've never liked the lack of comfort of the stools. I'd do a small shelf/ledge instead. I'd get at least 3 lights- spa, deep end and shallow end. Get them to plumb the spa so you can shut it off from the rest of the pool and heat it alone.

I've never liked the lack of comfort of the stools. I'd do a small shelf/ledge instead. I'd get at least 3 lights- spa, deep end and shallow end. Get them to plumb the spa so you can shut it off from the rest of the pool and heat it alone.
Thank you for the reply. What about the stools did you not like? We want a way for those in the pool to sit and also face those in the cabana area. A ledge wouldn't allow that comfortably

I wonder... has anyone ever done bar stools on one side of the hot tub, and a bar top on that side behind them? You could go slightly raised or sunken to marry up better with the cabana. In the summer months, you wouldn't need to run the heater, and it would be easier for robots in the main pool, and wouldn't block a lap lane. Just a thought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.