First Time Cloudy Issue

Aug 22, 2017
New Waverly, TX
Been a pool owner for 7 years and a true follower of TFP for 7 years. Y'all have made my pool ownership super easy. Have not a problem until now.

We received 16" of rain on a Sunday night. And that much rain causes my pasture to drain into the back yard and into my pool. Yes.....a pasture with cows and all that comes with it.
I drained it down and started slamming immediately. By Wednesday it was getting better.......starting to blue up a bit. However, when Thursday rolled around, we had another 4" of rain and that caused the pasture to drain right back into my pool. So, I started over.
The good thing, was that it was that time of the season to clean my filters. I did that on Saturday. Tons of mud. It's what I thought. I forgot to SLAM afterwards, but by Monday I realized I needed to start slamming.
So on Monday the 20th, round the clock pump and tried to keep the chlorine between 25-30 (I was over aggressive as I had zero CYA, but I was thinking go nuclear to remove any biological component that was causing the cloudiness).
By Wednesday, by OCLT was perfect, but I was still cloudy. And not at the beginning, but I have brushed the pool for the last 4 days......walls and floor.

And as I write this, I remain cloudy and can not seem to break past this.......going on 6 days.
Slight green tint and can not see past 3-ft.

On average, here are my results:
FC: 25-31
CC: .5 (never above this)
pH: 7.2-7.6
TA: 40-50
Temp: 86
CYA: I finally got it up to 40 today and I'm expecting to get around 50 by tomorrow.

Tonight my FC was 17.5 (due to daytime loss) and I'm going to bump it up with a gallon.

I've been very consistent on my testing over the years.......I only use liquid bleach and acid (and every now and then baking soda). My pool runs better on a TA around 50-60......helps keep my pH more consistent.

I have loaded my puck container to get some conditioner in the pool and I'm done adding any additional based on my CYA.

So, keep the pumps running or am I missing something obvious? Or go back and clean the filters again? I'm planning on doing that anyway as I can't think of what else it could be.

Attachments

• DC8732AA-E6FF-43D9-AF67-4438514143BB_1_105_c.jpeg
    DC8732AA-E6FF-43D9-AF67-4438514143BB_1_105_c.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 5
Patience. Soil run-off into the pool from flooding is one of the longest lasting issues to deal with because so much organic matter gets in there. Stick with the SLAM Process and give it time. But even if your CYA makes it to 50 today, the SLAM FC level is only 20, so no need to go so high over that. It won't really help that much. A lot of additional FC will get burned off by the sun.

I'm sorry y'all didn't get the storms we got here over the last 2 weeks. Miserable.

Well, this morning I could actually see the outline of my brush on the bottom in the shallow end. So I believe you're right. Just give it time. And I think I'll wait until this clears up and then clean my filters.

Reactions: Texas Splash