First time closing

demilio56

Bronze Supporter
Apr 25, 2017
Binghamton
I'm a first year pool owner and starting to think about closing up for the season. We are having a very early fall in upstate NY this year. I've read the closing article in pool school and done some other research and feel very comfortable with almost everything.

Im stuck on the blowing out of the lines. I only have one each of a suction (skimmer) and return (jet). Should I drain below the return so they can be easily blown out and capped/plugged? Or, buy some sort of one way blow out plugs so I don't have to drain?

My hesitation to draining is that I like the idea of the water being higher for support of the pool walls. That apprehension comes from having seen one of the walls cave in a few years ago during a very cold winter we had. I did not own the house at the time but my parents live next door and I saw the aftermath. the thought of that happening again scares the heck out of me! Especially since it now has a new liner, concrete deck, and vinyl fence around it. The collapse was fixed right by a reputable pool company but the pool is 50 years old so it's a worry in the back of my mind. Should I not worry about it and just drain it or go with the one way blow out valves of some sort? Any recommendations for those or is there no real substitute for a good solid plug?

lastly, how much antifreeze should I aim for? Fill the pipes? 50%? Don't worry about it if I blow the lines out good? We get a good hard deep freeze (~4') where I am usually and my pipes are only about 2' deep, maybe less. I figure the more the better as far as antifreeze but I'm not sure what all of that is going to do to my startup in the spring. My equipment is at the opposite end of the pool from the skimmer and jet so I calculated that I would need about 5 gallons per line (10 gallons total) for 100% filling if the pipes. Is that significant for a 20k gallon pool when I go to open on the spring? Will it affect chemistry , filter, or anything else?

Demilio:

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a main drain?

You do not need to lower the water below the returns. I lower my water just below the skimmers and clear out the lines (real well) with a Cyclone. If you do not have a main drain, there are many ways to close the pool properly and not spend extra cash on antifreeze.

You could lower the water below the returns, close the pool and then fill back up with fresh clean water. Your chemistry levels will also change based on fill water. If your PH, CH, and TA all come within range, then this would be another option. The process would take no longer than about 3 hours and the pool will be filled up with water again. If you have a good blower/compressor, this may not be necessary either.

Can you take some pictures of the pool and equipment pad and please send over. Also, what blower will you be using for the closing and where were you thinking of hooking it up to? You mention concrete and a liner? Can you explain. Thank you.

Catanzaro,
I do not have a main drain. I was going to use a heavy duty shop vac or air compressor to blow the lines out (leaning towards the shop vac). I have fernco connections where the lines come out of the ground at the equipment pad. I was going to remove the ferncos and hook up there. I also thought of draining to blow out and then refilling for the insurance of having the water in the pool but was concerned about chemistry...

The pool is a concrete wall structure with a vinyl liner. I guess it was a pretty common type of construction back when it was built.

I can take a picture and send later.

P.S. Great profile pic! I love that movie...hilarious...been waiting for 3 to come out for years!

I know about the concrete walls. There is a company here that builds this type of pool and I really should have used them. Very difficult to spot a cut in a concrete wall, but sturdy. I really think steel walls are solid as well. With only one return, you may want to look at the circulator return jet. The One & Only Circulator . Call the company and find out if the regular or mega will fit in your pool. The smaller version will not work as well if the mega fits in your pool. These help out with moving water.

At this point, I do believe you can clear out the lines. If the shop vac does not work, try a compressor on the lowest PSI setting and keep increasing if necessary.

BTW, I doubt Bad Boys III will be out. There was a rumor in 2017, but does not look like any time soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.