First time closing pool

Ymh

Jun 4, 2020
New york
Hi. Thanks for all the help during my first pool season here in NY. I am trying to start closing my pool. I plan to use a recommended pool guy even though I maintained the pool myself with some help from TFP. Closing seems pretty complex. I want to make sure mister pool guy doesnt mess up my great water though. Any chemicals recommended or not? And when do I shock? I should be able to work with the guy and wanted some recommendations from you guys.
Thanks

I also maintain my own pool but use a pool guy to basically just blow out the lines. That's the part of closing that can be really expensive if you don't do it right. He knows not to add any chemicals. Here's my approach:

A few days before closing I raise the FC up to shock level and keep circulating. I would do an OCLT if I had any concerns. Then the night before he arrives, I pump the water down to the proper winter level for my pool and remove and clean the cartridges. He comes and blows out the lines and add antifreeze to them. Then I put the cover on and remove the pump to store inside. I get charged $240 plus any new plugs needed and antifreeze. It's a nice compromise for me. I get peace of mind that the lines are blown out correctly, and nothing unwanted is added to my pool.

I do not add any algaecide because I close after the temp goes below 60 and open before it gets to 60. And even with a mesh cover, I have clear water every spring (aside from a possible worm invasion). If you close before or open after 60 degrees, adding a Polyquat 60 algaecide (don't use any other types of algaecides) can be advisable to assist with algae not getting started as FC gets depleted. Others add FC under the cover and mix but I'm not a big advocate of adding anything without a pump running. It can be OK if done right but not as a general rule.

Opening is easy so long as you understand your equipment. Remove cover, add water, install pump, install cartridges in filter, adjust valves and for me, add MA, chlorine, salt when it warms up, CYA (and possibly CH) to get balanced.

My guy isn’t into antifreeze. Where do you put antifreeze?
In the plumbing lines once they are blown-out of water as much as possible; Also watch to ensure the tech closing installs a safety device into your skimmer (i.e. Gizmo) which helps to prevent against ice expansion. Some people will also use cut-up foam noodles in the skimmer.
How do you determine proper water level?
This can vary a bit by pool type and cover if used. Your tech who will be closing should know how to do that for you. Some get lowered below the return jets, while others may focus more on a balance between lowering the water while also providing support for the cover (if used). Heavy snow or ice can influence that decision.

The biggest thing to remember as noted above .... close as late as you can and open as early as you can so the water is definitely chilly (below 60) to avoid algae. But if you have any other question, let us know.

If you are using a solid cover you don’t need to drain much of the pool. You will need to drain whatever water accumulates on top of the cover. If you are using a permeable cover you will overflow quickly and need to drain many small amounts or a few bigger ones.

for reference we get about 3 ft of rain/melted snow in the off season in NY. How you want to divide that up is up to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.