First time borate user

May 9, 2018
Antioch illinois
Im planning on adding borates to my pool for the first time. Im planning on using Borax and muriatic acid using the Pool Math calculator. I was planning on using the formula to add 40ppm to have some play. Does anyone have any tips before I do it? My TA was over 300 at one time but I have gotten it down to 90. Will a TA of 90 be ok or should I lower it more? Can I add All the MA and Borax (separately of course) at one time? Which First? Thanks

Update: Ive added 9 boxes of Borate and 2.25 gallons of acid. I did it in two back to back batched. Dumped the Borax directly in the pool brushed the bottom and added the acid each of the two times. It has worked perfectly so far. The borax dissolved completely with little brushing. I assume, per the calculator, to have a level of about 43 ppm. I have test strip on the way and will bring it up to 50 after I get them. The water temp is only 72 so I haven't had a chance to use the pool except for a quick cool off after the hot tub one time. It definitely left my hair feeling a lot better and softer than in the past. Looking forward to its effects on water balance.

Do you have dogs that swim or drink from the pool? If so, don't go any higher. Borates are toxic to animals at a lower concentration than it is to humans. Usually 50 ppm is the limit for pools that have pets in the water of drinking from it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.