First Time Blowing Pool Lines

Mjbrowny21

May 19, 2021
Mendon, NY
I usually hire out the pool closing. The guy uses a small pancake compressor and not sure if he creates an airlock with the main drain as he removes the jandy valve handle and cover.

I have a long pipe run so I want to purchase the air supply cyclone to blow out the lines, just a couple questions on how to do it.
1.) To blow out the returns I attach the cyclone to the red circled hose with the filter set on circulate? Once all blown out cap them.
2.) To blow out skimmer attach cyclone to the yellow circled hose with the main drain shut. Then open main drain blow it out and quickly turn valve to skimmer to create an air lock?

Is this correct?
Thanks for any help people can provide

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 58
Blow the yellow with the main drain 100 % open. Once the bubbles shoot out the drain, turn the handle to 100% skimmer. That will lock the air in the drain pipe and simultaneously divert the air to the skimmer, causing old faithful to sprout at the skimmer(s). Add RV antifreeze (up to a gallon) to the skimmer pipe and install gizmo(s).

Then blow the returns and cap them after. Drain what's left in the filter and leave the MPV between 2 settings, in case it allows water in over the winter, that little bit will drain into the pipes and not damage the MPV. I use a garden hose taped to a funnel to add antifreeze to the return fitting before capping it.

Blow the yellow with the main drain 100 % open. Once the bubbles shoot out the drain, turn the handle to 100% skimmer. That will lock the air in the drain pipe and simultaneously divert the air to the skimmer, causing old faithful to sprout at the skimmer(s). Add RV antifreeze (up to a gallon) to the skimmer pipe and install gizmo(s).

Then blow the returns and cap them after. Drain what's left in the filter and leave the MPV between 2 settings, in case it allows water in over the winter, that little bit will drain into the pipes and not damage the MPV. I use a garden hose taped to a funnel to add antifreeze to the return fitting before capping it.
How do I blow out the returns, through the red circled tube? Thank you!

How do I blow out the returns, through the red circled tube?
Yes. I'm pretty sure you can blow right through the sand filter and then drain it after. I pull my cartridge filter and blow just the pipe, but yours is heavy and that might be more trouble than it's worth. @Texas Splash might have thoughts one way or the other. Hang tight. :)

Reactions: Mjbrowny21
I don't see the need to "blow air through the filter" I clear the suction side out before the filter and the return side out after the filter. Am I missing something here. In that picture it appears to me that you would blow out the returns using the plumbing that is not circled. Right??

I forgot about the recirculate setting on the MPV. They are foreign to me with cartridges. (y)
Unless I am totally not understanding the whole process. The filter is taken totally out of the process when "clearing the lines" The drain plug in the bottom of the filter is removed. The filter drains. Clear the suction side at the pump basket before the filter and clear the return side after the filter output plumbing. In the picture provided that would be the union on the left of the picture about a third of the way down. Undo that union and blow air down through the pipe that leads to the ground. This is for step 1 of the process outlined above.

Unless I am totally not understanding the whole process. The filter is taken totally out of the process when "clearing the lines"
There are many ways to skin this cat. The filter can be physically removed (my personal way) to blow the lines directly, or with the filter in place through the MPV (totally acceptable). Some folks don't want to open anything they don't need to. Or they are incapable of wrangling the up to 350 lb sand filter (this one is lighter, but still).

This is part of the fun of creating closing plans. We all see the rubiks cube, but your side has blue and orange and my side have green yellow and red and OPs side is blue and green. The important part is we all see a rubiks cube, but explaining it to each other may be fun sometimes. :ROFLMAO:

If you are storing all your equiptment, just remove and drain it all and blow out the lines directly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.