First time backwashing and recharging Jandy DEV 60 filter

Dgreen

Jul 23, 2022
Austin
Hi there,
I just backwashed my Jandy and have questions about the recharge.

1. What is the quantity of DE I should use for recharge? Would I use 80% of 60lbs of DE?
2. Is a pound considered 2 cups?
3. When I add DE, is an n95 mask sufficient to protect my lungs or should I use a better mask?
4. When I add DE do I put the filter into rinse mode or do I put the filter in filter mode?

I have watched videos and I am reading the manual but can't seem to find these answers yet.
Thank you for your assistance,
David

1. What is the quantity of DE I should use for recharge? Would I use 80% of 60lbs of DE?

Yes, 4.8 to 5 lbs.

2. Is a pound considered 2 cups?

I suggest you use a food scale and calibrate the cups you are using.

3. When I add DE, is an n95 mask sufficient to protect my lungs or should I use a better mask?

I would think an N95 mask should be sufficient. But I don’t use a mask. I just work with DE outdoors, am aware of the way the wind is blowing, and keep it well away from my face.

4. When I add DE do I put the filter into rinse mode or do I put the filter in filter mode?

Add DE using FILTER mode.

I added de and came out the skimmer.

How did you add the DE?

You put the DE in the skimmer so it is sucked into the filter to coat the grids.

Should I use recirculate instead?

No, recirculate will just return the water to the pool and dump anything back into the pool.

It is new pool and has already been filled with de powder. I highly doubt equipment is damaged in any way. I added 1scoop and it looked like entire scoop went into pool. I think I’m using wrong setting on filter. Should I use rinse setting instead of filter?

Should I use rinse setting instead of filter?

Nope, you need to use FILTER to have the DE go into the filter.

Is your pump running?

Do you have weir doors?

What speed is your pump running at?

Do you see good water flow into the skimmer and out the returns?

Nope, you need to use FILTER to have the DE go into the filter.

Is your pump running?

Do you have weir doors?

What speed is your pump running at?

Do you see good water flow into the skimmer and out the returns?
Ajw, you’re brilliant I think it’s that the weir door fell off and I never reinstallled. I bet you you are right. Thank you so much for problem solving. I have been trying to figure it out all day and was frustrated. I will try in the morning. Thanks again.

I like to take a 5gal bucket and make a slurry out of the DE with pool water. Pour it in the skimmer with pump running and it gets sucked right in.
Also, I've found I can make it most all of the season without having to backwash. I know everyplace is different, but unless the pressure goes up on the dial, I don't backwash. At first, I did it based on time, but found that it really didn't need it.

Reactions: jsygrls

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard question. How will 1-1.5 pounds DE in the pool impact pool chemistry of 10k pool? Pool is a little cloudy from de but otherwise zero algae. I’m running cleaner and pool filter and now de filter is recharged.F6B468B2-5C02-43D5-A407-8B9018E303F2.png

How much pressure does it go up before backwashing?

Backwash your filter when pressure goes up 25-30%.

I can tell when my filter needs backwashing by the flow of my spa spillover. When it starts dribbling it is time to backwash the filter.

The 25% rule does not work as well when you are running a VS pump at low RPMs and don't get much PSI. When I had a SS pump my clean pressure was around 18 and I would backwash when it got to the high 20's.

Now running my VS pump at 1600 RPM filter PSI is about 7.

My Intelliflo VSF pump shows me the GPM flow on my IntelliCenter. 1600 RPM is about 20 gpm. When gpm drops down around 13 it is time to backwash.

So you have multiple indicators on your pool to show when the filter needs to be backwashed. Use whichever one works best for you as you learn how your pool behaves.

1662389934402.png

Reactions: Dgreen
The DE you lost into the water will not affect anything. It will filter out over time.

Reactions: Dgreen
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.